mark poulson

modified swim bait mold

1 hour ago, 21xdc said:

I'm not talking about stable.... Balance point front to back... All the weight would be behind the axis/pivot point. 

I never thought about that.  I typically use a Keitech or ES Ripper swimbait as a trailer, and I don't think it would be a problem with them.

I do worry that the tow point might be too low, but a 30 or 60 degree hook should put the eye up above the nose enough to make it work.

Edited by mark poulson

With the hook at the nose it should be a great head to run through grass, I'd say it would work.  With the lighter heads anyways, one would think a bulky plastic like a Keitech would overcome the head balance issue or at least minimize it.  The large sizes could be a different story but when continuously moving the bait, might not make much of a difference.  But yes, fairly easy modification and a good idea for another use of the mold.

On 1/29/2018 at 2:10 PM, 21xdc said:

It's not going to come through grass well with an open hook regardless of line tie location.

I would take advantage of the slot for the original hook eye to place a removable pin, so I could add a single strand weed guard made from weed wacker refill filament.  I do that with lots of weedless heads that I buy and finish.

I have this swim bait head jig mold and I'm not a huge fan of it.  I've found the lower lead edge makes threading a  Keitech fat swimbait style bait on a pain.   That being said 1/4 oz is my most used size so gonna be a bit tight.  So what ive done is filled that lower lead edge in with plumber  putty, or you can snip/file the lower edge off....the result is very close to a VMC  Swimbait head   http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/VMC_Ike_Approved_Swimbait_Jig_Heads/descpage-MVCSBHD.html .   The bait tracks great and your larger swimbaits don't have a fit issue.   For casting jig heads I really like the the DO-IT casting jig.  They track great and have a 30 degree hook and can be molded with or without weed guard.  The are similar to Dirty Jig MA swimbait heads except for bait keeper  http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Dirty_Jigs_Matt_Allen_Tactical_Bassin_Swimbait_Jig_Head/descpage-DJMASWH.html.  I only mention other brand name jigs for comparisons.   I didn't necessarily try to replicate them , it just worked out that way.  

Pic of same jig but on left is modified.   The putty plugs are removable/reusable after they cure ( albeit a bit brittle)20180111_160953.thumb.jpg.d429321e6295fb616e4d80bc785d32b8.jpg20180111_155033.thumb.jpg.3021972c6bf656a63624741ee0c4ac08.jpg