bassmaster0726

Custom baits smelling and oily

Well I recently gave up injecting and pouring soft plastics about 3 years ago, I am just now starting to get back into it and I went through a few bags of baits that have been sitting in my room for atleast 2 years. All the bags that I went through were extremely oily and put off a chemical odor, I only used “do-it” plastisol and “baitjunkys”, while baits junky’s being the considerably better plastic to work with IMO as far as clearness, bubbles, yellowing, and the quality of the plastic overall, both brands still put off an incredibly annoying odor, I’ve noticed that no old packs of the “big name” brand baits put off this similar odor nor do they become oily.

Edited by bassmaster0726
  • Confused 1

Not sure why.  I don't use those two plastisol brands, but most are similar.  I add some scent to the bags I pour up and I don't see a problem.  Also, unless I store the baits in the heat, I have not had them go oily, but I have heard of that before.

Strange, hope you get your answers.

Soft plastic "odor" can come from many sources. The resin used by the manufacturer usually is the culprit. But additionally the plasticizer used, secondary oils, and even heat stabilizer can all add to a chemical smell. These all vary by manufacturer and can even vary within the same manufacturer based on the formulation used for a line of plastisol versus another line of plastisol. So it will depend on where the "big name"'s purchase their plastisol or what they use if they compound their own. None of them are likely to share that information with you.

Oil seepage , in my experience, happens to all plastisols from all manufacturers. The only variable is how quickly and how much. This obviously varies by supplier and formulation. Usually storing in a hot environment over time will accelerate this phenomenon versus a climate controlled environment.

One question is did you add anything to your baits when/after you packaged them? Softener? Worm OIl? Scent? Mineral Oil? etc.

I dug out some baits I hand poured back in the early 80's, and they have been stored in hot conditions.  They were poured form whatever Netcraft use to sell in those days.  They are odor free, oil free, not too dry.  

I cannot believe that the plastisol sold 35 years ago is better then what we have today.

19 hours ago, Anglinarcher said:

I dug out some baits I hand poured back in the early 80's, and they have been stored in hot conditions.  They were poured form whatever Netcraft use to sell in those days.  They are odor free, oil free, not too dry.  

I cannot believe that the plastisol sold 35 years ago is better then what we have today.

They might have been able to use ingredients that are no longer available.

• Thanks 1