Yak_addict_785

Should I sand jig heads before powder painting?

Curious to know if any of you jig makers sand the lead heads before powder painting them? If so, what do you guys use to sand them? I have been hand sanding mine using  fine (400) grit sand paper but I wish there was an easier/quicker option? Possibly a dremel with sanding bit?! Interested in hearing from the more advanced/experienced crafters. Thanks in advance! 

Ok awesome. I kind of wondered if anybody ever sanded the entire jig head or not because when researching ideas I've never came across any articles about that topic. So maybe its not necessary for me to sand the entire head? Just the sprue area instead? I did paint a couple without sanding them but it just seemed like the quality wasnt as sharp as the one I sanded first.. I suppose that could also be because I was painting them green chartreuse? Maybe the particular color doesnt cover as many blemishes as a darker color of paint would perhaps? Thank you guys!

I would not recommend sanding lead, as the fine dust you create becomes airborne and you breathe that in. I use a small half round bastard cut file to file down the remainder of the sprue after I cut it off. All the remains fall in a little tray I keep under the jig I'm sanding.  Any rough marks left from the file,  the powder paint will cover it to make a beautiful finish.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, cadman said:

I would not recommend sanding lead, as the fine dust you create becomes airborne and you breathe that in. I use a small half round bastard cut file to file down the remainder of the sprue after I cut it off. All the remains fall in a little tray I keep under the jig I'm sanding.  Any rough marks left from the file,  the powder paint will cover it to make a beautiful finish.

Thanks Cadman, I just went and bought a file and a heat gun to replace my propane torch for heating. Back in the lab now, hoping for better results!

I use gate cutters to remove the sprue and while cutting give it a twist.  This results in a very clean sprue cut.

If you're using wire cutters then the first thing to do is get some gate cutters.  I use the Hakko CHP-170  which run less than $5 a pair on Amazon.  I buy five pair at a time as I go through about that many in a year.

31 minutes ago, LimpNoodle said:

I use gate cutters to remove the sprue and while cutting give it a twist.  This results in a very clean sprue cut.

If you're using wire cutters then the first thing to do is get some gate cutters.  I use the Hakko CHP-170  which run less than $5 a pair on Amazon.  I buy five pair at a time as I go through about that many in a year.

Not sure on the brand but I did buy a pair of gate cutters, and your right they work much better than just twisting the sprue off. Hardly have to file the sprue mark at all now!