rb1

How to airbrush a sheen of color over a bait

Ok,  I look at custom painted baits websites to get different ideas of paint schemes. I visited https://www.joescustombaits.com/product/ad_listings/show_category/3  and looked at blue rock craw and blue texas craw. In the description it states "The entire bait is dusted with a iridescent blue to give the bait a blue sheen over the brown, a really great looking craw pattern."   and the top and upper sides dusted with a shimmering blue. "  So I think the bait has a hint of blue over the bait.  I guess what I imagine is when I look at the bait at right angle I see the base color, but if I look at it from an angle I will see a hint of the colors over the base color. My question is how is that done? I tried to take a color, say blue and then took transparent base and made the paint really light.  Tried it but it just muddied up the paint scheme.  Also thought about doing my paint scheme, then dipping bait (KBS Diamondfinish) letting dry then spraying the color.  Also will iridescent paint be the key. as I do not have any nor have I ever painted with it. 

I guess the other way of describing what I want, is take a colored plastic film and look at your bait through it. You see the bait but it has the hue of the plastic colored sheet.

It probably does not make sense what I am trying to do, but if anyone has a suggestion, thanks in advance. I did email the web site asking how, but never received a response.

This is what I have used in the past.  Mix the paint well and I find I spray in thin coats, checking between each coat for the desired results.

https://www.mckenziesp.com/Iridescent-Colors-C2627.aspx

It is not nearly as dramatic as what Matt uses, but it gives a hint of the color in the proper light.  I find the green and blue to be thin, even just a hint, but it does give some interesting results that might be interpreted as:

32 minutes ago, rb1 said:

"The entire bait is dusted with a iridescent blue to give the bait a blue sheen over the brown, a really great looking craw pattern."   and the top and upper sides dusted with a shimmering blue. "

15 hours ago, G rosa said:

For highlights I like to use Pearl Ex powder. You can apply a tiny amount on a specific area on a freshly painted bait and them add your clear coat or you can mix it into your clear coat.  

Ya pearl ex works good or you can order from paint with pearl if you want more options and an automotive grade pearl powder.

Now one thing to remember the pearl ex and others like it are made from Mica generally. I haven't ever had an issue with Mica based powders since mica is actually a mineral but some flakes and powders that are plastic based and such will not stand up to harsher chemicals in clear coats. I found this out the hard way so test a little before you go all out.  

Also little known fact but you can buy Mica pearl powder for makeup and its the same thing but cost less. they have soo many colors it will make your head spin too.

Thanks for the information. Will be placing an order for the iridescent paints. Besides the McKenzie wildlife paint mentioned above has anyone used Badger wood & water  Iridescent Color Set as I can order that for $20 for a six color set of 2 oz bottles. 

The only thing around me that I can find without ordering on line is the Pearl ex, which I ran to hobby Lobby and got and small jar of the duo blue-green.  As I said in original post that I dip my baits in KBS Diamond finish. I really do not want to add it to my jar, so what can I add it to to spray it using the airbrush?  I am thinking of using the transparent base, a bit of reducer and then the pearl ex. Is there another clear water base medium I can use? Thanks in advance.

18 hours ago, rb1 said:

Thanks for the information. Will be placing an order for the iridescent paints. Besides the McKenzie wildlife paint mentioned above has anyone used Badger wood & water  Iridescent Color Set as I can order that for $20 for a six color set of 2 oz bottles. 

The only thing around me that I can find without ordering on line is the Pearl ex, which I ran to hobby Lobby and got and small jar of the duo blue-green.  As I said in original post that I dip my baits in KBS Diamond finish. I really do not want to add it to my jar, so what can I add it to to spray it using the airbrush?  I am thinking of using the transparent base, a bit of reducer and then the pearl ex. Is there another clear water base medium I can use? Thanks in advance.

Mix a little into createx topcoat then finish the bait as you would. This method doesnt look as good but still works well. I never tried the transparent base but it should also work. Like others have mentioned lite multiple coats work better than heavy coats especially for this effect.

Edited by Matt Moreau