aulrich

Smooth-on Glow worm powder

So for the first time since I have been making lures the store where I get my epoxy supplies actually had smooth-on glow worm powder. 6 OZ for $54cad was too good to pass by considering from my lure parts supply place is 30 for 1 OZ.

So I guess I have a couple of questions

Has anyone use the glow worm product in soft plastics

With typical glow powder how much would you use in the standard 1 cup of plastic

The powder glows yellow/green most of the glow plastics I have seen are white ish . According to smooth-on they recommend tinting (for epoxy applications) to a similar color.  What do folks typically do

And just as a note we charged up the powder it glowed so bright you could see light through the lid.

The eternal problem for me is getting stuff north of the border without doubling the price.   Was just tickled to get access to the powder, and at least from what I have seen it’s a good product.  And as a powder I can try and use it in different contexts.

I guess there is no real replacement for experimentation , I guess I can warm up a cup of plastic and add ¼ tsp  at a time and stop when it get to nuclear like glow.

Then eventually I will add it to generic clear powder I found a Canadian automotive powder paint supplier so at least the experiment won't be too expensive if it fails.

I lot of the difference in prices are due to what the material is made of, which determines how bright it will glow and long it will last.

For years the glow powder was a zinc sulfide material, smells terrible, and often glows for only a few minutes to perhaps an hour.  Had some, loved it, but if I was fishing at night I was always recharging it.  That is the cheaper stuff.  If you are fishing during the day in deep or dirty water, this is not a bid deal because you are often reeling it in, it is naturally recharging, and casting it out again.

The new material is much more expensive  Strontium Aluminate which glows brighter, glows much longer (some over 12 hours), and does not have that sulfur smell.  Have some and I can use it on ice fishing jigs, at night, for frolling, and not worry about bringing it up to charge.

Yes, there is a price difference, and if they don't tell you which material it is you are probably getting the older and less expensive material.  I am not going to say one is better then the other, but the difference is huge.

1 hour ago, aulrich said:

The eternal problem for me is getting stuff north of the border without doubling the price.

Never quite figured that out.  I have ordered stuff from Canada and the price seldom changes much, but when they order it from us it goes through the roof.

We were suppose to have that NAFTA, North American Free Trade Agreement, but apparently it is only free going one way??????  I am a hobbyist, at least in fishing stuff, but when I was selling Archery Stuff, I stopped selling North of the Border.  I once went to an Archery Shoot in Canada and the Canadian Border Stuff would only let me take a Dozen Arrows into the country in fear I might sell my extras to the locals at a reduced price.

Strange world, very strange indeed.

Smooth on claims hours of glow, and I did not smell sulfur, so we will see.

The only spike it stuff I can find is worm dye which is not flexible enough ,so if you can post a Canadian source of glow powder at that price  that would be awesome.

Yes I wish NAFTA worked better for the individual and happily the corethe core issue to this  problem happily  is on the table in this round of NAFTA talks, but I expect Our Liberal Overlords will not let it be changed. Basically anything over 20$ I have to pay duty on so that means it has to go through a broker at the border to collect that duty and the brokerage fee tends to be no less than 20$.  The government won't want to change it because they claim to be protecting Canadian retailers.

I think the basic exception for an American is something like 500$-800$ before you start to pay duty

IIRC a nozzle for my IWATA air brush started at 15$usd ended up as 75$CAD by the time I got it and that was just by mail.  It's little purchases where it really hurts, exchange shipping, brokerage add up quick.

you need to look at the Lureworks side of Spike It

https://www.ispikeit.com/product/342/natural-glow-128

Products not manufactured in the US are billed duty (percentage depends on the product and country of manufacture) US made products are exempt. 

Brokerage fees get your package through customs faster, if it is shipped in through Canada Post they don't bill brokerage, but your package can be held in customs until they get to clearing it, sometimes fast, sometimes slow. You almost always get billed sales tax (although I wasn't billed anything on a $1000.00 order of lures I bought for my store this past week, came in through Canada Post)

With the vast majority of the soft bait supplies being manufactured in the US you just need to bite the bullet and pay the associated costs. You're going to pay them if you buy direct or buy the same product in Canada (if you don't think those fees are included in the Canadian pricing you're nuts)

Edited by DaveMc1

8 hours ago, DaveMc1 said:

you need to look at the Lureworks side of Spike It

https://www.ispikeit.com/product/342/natural-glow-128

Just not sure if this is the Zink or the new stuff.  

https://www.ispikeit.com/product/635/super-glow-green-175   This is there super glow, and it is $32.50/4 oz.  

So I played a bit, I had some white powder coated jigs and I mixed up some e-Tex and the glow powder. If work but I should have used the   1 part, 1 part and 1 part powder that smooth on recommend. There was not enough thickness to have an over all glow. But they will work. I also put some on a rattle bait I had on the spinner, base color does seem to matter.

its too cold to work in the garage with the door open, so once it warms up I will shoot some soft plastic 

69821A3B-9098-4347-8487-6FE066A6F8F0.jpeg

1A49F51D-EA18-48D4-A8AB-9D6703B95751.jpeg

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, aulrich said:

So I played a bit, I had some white powder coated jigs and I mixed up some e-Tex and the glow powder. If work but I should have used the   1 part, 1 part and 1 part powder that smooth on recommend. There was not enough thickness to have an over all glow. But they will work. I also put some on a rattle bait I had on the spinner, base color does seem to matter.

its too cold to work in the garage with the door open, so once it warms up I will shoot some soft plastic 

69821A3B-9098-4347-8487-6FE066A6F8F0.jpeg

1A49F51D-EA18-48D4-A8AB-9D6703B95751.jpeg

That will get bit!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Apdriver said:

So how’s the catching on this glow stuff. For bass. Never tried it.

59 minutes ago, aulrich said:

For me they have a very specific use for either deep water lakers, walleye or night time burbot . 

How much dark water does a bass fisherman see and does muddy count as dark water. 

Like Aulrich, I have had great luck on Lake Trout, Trout in general, Steelhead, and Burbot.  I have found that Walleye prefer it to be almost out of charge before they would take it.  As for LMB, I have tried and tried and tried it and I have caught only a very few bass with it.  I am sure it works for some, but not for me.  I do better with a Black or Dark Red, which I suspect only provides them a silhouette at night when framed against the surface.  

But, I have also learned to never say never and to never judge your lakes or methods.  

I fish the CA Delta, which has off colored water a lot of the time.

I have good success with glo trailers for spinnerbaits (3" grub) and chatterbaits (3 1/2" Keitech knockoff).

My best color is charteuse with chart and silver flake, and then add 1 tsp. of glow white/green per cup of plastisol.

I also add some of the chat. glo plastic to the tails of my green pumpkin senkos, and they get eaten, too.

• Thanks 1