Jig Man

Twin tail grub mold delima

I've been experimenting with my mold.  It is a 4 cavity mold from Lurecraft.  It shoots great.  I used my two injectors with my blending block to shoot laminates.  It did a pretty good job but when shooting the 2 colors blended together (not swirled) giving me unusual tail coloring.  I'm wanting to keep the 2 colors completely separate from each other so I made a lamination plate.  I spent some time trying to shoot some halves today.  I preheated the mold, lamination plate, and injectors.  I tried different temps of plastisol.  I tried different speeds and pressures while injecting.  I even lubricated the mold and plate.  The end result was 1 half completely shot.  All the rest had incomplete tails.

Do you think I should wait and try it again in summer?  Or is there a slickum that might work for me?

Yes it is the same always (all of them) that don't fill.  The body fills and 1/2 of the tails.  The plate is just a piece of aluminum flashing cut to fit the mold.  That is what I have used for my other molds.  I don't have any pics right now.  I'll have to heat up some plastic tomorrow and do some shoots.

you will likely have issues with the tails and a plate. your colours were probably a bit on the hotter side and the temps were off a bit. If the viscosity of the 2 colours is the same you will have no issues. 

lower temps when shooting laminates and keep the temps between the 2 colours as close as you can. 

• Like 1

Trash the laminate plate and go back to the two color injector. With the right two color injector it will give you the results you expect. Keep the temps around 300-310 deg and shoot with steady pressure but at the end give it a good push and hold pressure. This should fill out the tails in both colors. The tails are to thin to shoot with a plate and get good consistent  results. 

Edited by Frank

Frank you are probably right.  I put vents in the plate and shot the one side. 7 of the 8 came out good.  Shooting the other side had mixed results.

I will have to experiment with some different colors before I decide to give up on the plate.

20180202_112942[1].jpg

Edited by Jig Man

1 hour ago, Frank said:

Trash the laminate plate and go back to the two color injector. With the right two color injector it will give you the results you expect. Keep the temps around 300-310 deg and shoot with steady pressure but at the end give it a good push and hold pressure. This should fill out the tails in both colors. The tails are to thin to shoot with a plate and get good consistent  results. 

Frank nailed it... twin injector ......