Micropsm

Crankbaits

Welcome to the site, I see you are new.  It is great to have new people on the site.

Hover your mouse over ACTIVITY at the top right of the screen.  When the drop down screen comes up, go to search at the bottom and click on it.  Enter your search words and you will probably find something on that subject, well, almost any subject about lure building. LOL

But, I seldom remove the old finish, I sand down any serious problems andT paint over it.

Others sand all of the paint off, and some have talked about using solvents to remove it, but then you need to avoid melting plastics, or removing the sealer on wood.

Pretty much, my way is THE CORRECT WAY TO DO IT, for me.  ROFLOL

• Like 1

No problem, that is what we are here for.  I just wanted you to have access to the years of hundreds of responses on so much information.

Your question is one we have discussed, in fact just recently, but to be honest, everytime we discuss an old topic, a new answer can come out.  That is how we grow, learn, and develop new ways.

Archives are a beautiful thing! ;-p

Like Ang said getting down n dirty with the bait is just about the only way to do it right. Generally I just scuff and paint too unless the bait needs TLC. Then you can go the whole nine yards Fill, sand fix as needed. If its a plastic bait and has significant hook rash or if its beat up and you wand a clean surface after sanding you can QUICKLY dip plastics in a strong thinner to "Melt" the top layer and make smooth after sanding but you will deform and melt the lure if you let them sit to try and let the thinner take off the paint for you. How do you know this you ask? There are a few "DERP" baits that I tried it on! LOL

When  prepping a bait that has a good coat of paint I scuff the finish with a Scotch Brite pad until it is uniformly dull, if the paint is damaged then I'll take sandpaper, usually 180 grit or 220, and remove the finish completely.  It can be tedious work but good prep leads to a good finish

• Like 1