Tiderunner

Glass Sandblast beads

On 2/4/2018 at 9:09 AM, Tiderunner said:

Started using #80 grit sandblast media in my soft plastics  with some success. As I was getting ready to order more I began to think about this...

Is there any advantage to using a finer grit media?  Something as far down as a #320 grit?

Opinions anyone?

In theory yes.  Some claim that the beads scratch and damage their injector, and the smaller beads would be less abrasive.

I found that 70-100 in a new, not recycled where many of the beads have been fractured, worked great for me.  I only bought 10 pounds and used it up pretty quickly and I had no issues, but.......

In theory......................... yes.

7 hours ago, Anglinarcher said:

In theory yes.  Some claim that the beads scratch and damage their injector, and the smaller beads would be less abrasive.

I found that 70-100 in a new, not recycled where many of the beads have been fractured, worked great for me.  I only bought 10 pounds and used it up pretty quickly and I had no issues, but.......

In theory......................... yes.

I've used the 70-100, and using a Do -It large injector i find is does scratch the innner tube- a lot.

I have also found it's just that...scratching. In a year of use my injector is still going strong, with no damage to the O rings. I am however not getting the clarity I see others getting, and I have gone back to a 2:1 ratio of salt to glass with pretty ok results.

I was going to order more of the #70 grit, and I saw there were smaller grits. So I am going to try 10 lbs of the smaller stuff, say 200-320, and see for myself, and I will post my results.

I use the glass and salt for stick baits, and worms as well. Next up, some big grubs for saltwater, and maybe some smaller 4"-5" grubs. I think the glass beads will work great in both the saltwater and smaller grubs.

As far as abrasiveness, maybe each successive drop in grit size smooths out the scratches fro the larger sizes. Kind of like compounding out scratches, or wet sanding.

One last note, the Do-It large injector tube seems to be very soft.  I imagine a stainless steel injector would be tougher. Like the marinade injectors for meat and poultry.

• Like 1

I agree about the 80-100 after a couple years it does scratch up the piston . The walls are just scratches . Sooner or later it scratches Pyrex . No biggie Pyrex should be replaced after a while anyway. It does wear out orings. 

Also a finer grit should polish out the scratches I would think. I push steel wool through that  injector that I use for glass beads from time to time. I’ve never had a problem with the injector just the oring . It is a hobby for me as well but I do a lot of “hobby pouring” lol

Edited by wallyc14
  • Like 2

OK... The experiment begins

The photo shows 4 , let's call them Bobbos, I poured from  CNC cut mold.

The plastic is Baitjunky soft.  To that I added 2 tsp. of stabilizer, 2oz. by volume of extra fine glass media to 4 ozs of plastic.

The result if the first two Bobbos without tips cut off. Weight on these was 10.5 grams

The other two with the tips cut off were the same plastic mixture but with 1oz of fine salt added.  That bought me up to 11.6 grams. with only a negligible difference in transparency.

I had cut the tips off so I remember which was which.

The scraping inside the injector which is a do it large size was almost non existent.

However I'm still not sold on the transparency. My go to bait depends on being almost clear with red glitter. See the GY #197

For any other color this would be fine.

This is also my first attempt with BJ plastisol. I bought the sample pack and tried the soft first. Too soft. I've been  using MF soft sinking for sometime now, and had been looking for other options,

Next up, medium and hard, same recipe.The experiment continues.

image1.JPG

• Like 1

With the course  grit I use the baits come out like the pics monete is showing the finer grit I would think would cloud it worse. I’ve had the same experience with salt the finer the grain the cloudier the bait larger course grain  more transparency. I could be wrong though . 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mike Broughton said:

Being new to this can I ask what the glass beads are for?

1 hour ago, wallyc14 said:

Salt Substituteit makes the baits more durable and more transparent.

And of course salt is added to make baits sink faster (heavier).  Many people think the salt is added for flavor, and it is to some extent, but weight is the biggest reason.

I checked and this is what I use.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-LBS-Fine-Glass-Bead-MIL-No-12-140-230-grit-Sand-Blasting-Abrasive/111810823636?hash=item1a0871c5d4:g:BXoAAOSwPhdU8Rqh

On 2/4/2018 at 11:09 AM, Tiderunner said:

Started using #80 grit sandblast media in my soft plastics  with some success. As I was getting ready to order more I began to think about this...

Is there any advantage to using a finer grit media?  Something as far down as a #320 grit?

Opinions anyone?

There is your prob. You are using sand blast media. You need to get glass beads!!!

16 hours ago, Frank said:

Is it really necessary to add stabilizer to new plastic?  All plastic has it in it but it will burn off after awhile. 

Yes, for most of us.  Salt or microballoons stiffens the plastic.  When you add something non-plastisol you need to add some softener and a little heat stabilizer.  But, "little" is the operative word and how much, especially with softener, is a personal thing.

48 minutes ago, MonteSS said:

I checked and this is what I use.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-LBS-Fine-Glass-Bead-MIL-No-12-140-230-grit-Sand-Blasting-Abrasive/111810823636?hash=item1a0871c5d4:g:BXoAAOSwPhdU8Rqh

There is your prob. You are using sand blast media. You need to get glass beads!!!

Monte, do you have a source for glass beads that are not blasting medium? 

I found a source for the virgin material, unused so it was not fractured or shattered, but did not find anything else that small.

12 minutes ago, Baitjunkys said:

good virgin plastisol doesn't need heat stabilizer. Just as frank said. But when you do use it, max of 2 drops per ounce. Our heat stabilizer will actually die the plastic yellow. since the stabilizer is yellow by nature.

He's talking about virgin blast media.

1 hour ago, Anglinarcher said:

Yes, for most of us.  Salt or microballoons stiffens the plastic.  When you add something non-plastisol you need to add some softener and a little heat stabilizer.  But, "little" is the operative word and how much, especially with softener, is a personal thing.

No need for stabilizer.  In virgin plastic. Not talking virgin beads.