Tiderunner

Glass Sandblast beads

7 hours ago, MonteSS said:

I checked and this is what I use.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-LBS-Fine-Glass-Bead-MIL-No-12-140-230-grit-Sand-Blasting-Abrasive/111810823636?hash=item1a0871c5d4:g:BXoAAOSwPhdU8Rqh

There is your prob. You are using sand blast media. You need to get glass beads!!!

Nope , using glass beads. But even finer than what you're using  MIL 13 down to 320 grit.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-LBS-Glass-Bead-MIL-No-13-170-320-grit-VERY-FINE-Sand-Blasting-media/122024856622?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

I'm going back to the 80 grit for clearer baits, already ordered them . and I'll use the extra fine stuff for dark colors.

And I'll experiment with a combo of the two.

5 hours ago, Baitjunkys said:

No need for stabilizer.  In virgin plastic. Not talking virgin beads.

I found and maybe its my imagination that I need to heat the plastic higher when using glass beads. I've scorched it a few times Call it careless.  I'll try going sans stabilizer and see what happens

I think the lack of clarity in my bait when using the extra fine media is that you have to use a lot of it, Same weight, but more volume due to the size of the beads. That puts a whole lot of those tiny beads in a bait, when a larger bead would have the same weight as a number of the little ones.

For the darker baits I made, that extra fine stuff made a great bait. heavy in weight. Lots of wiggle yet durable.

10 hours ago, Anglinarcher said:

Yes, for most of us.  Salt or microballoons stiffens the plastic.  When you add something non-plastisol you need to add some softener and a little heat stabilizer.  But, "little" is the operative word and how much, especially with softener, is a personal thing.

Wondering if you actually use these types of thing or just read about it. I use a lot of micro balloons and never have to add anything to my plastic. I don’t use salt much but if you try and copy something then by all means add a bunch of stuff together and make it work. Been noticing lately you have been speaking for what you call most of us and we but anyone reading this anglinarcher does not speak or represent ME in any way. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Anglinarcher said:

It's OK Mark, we all have bad days and sometimes differences of opinion.  ROFLOL

And yes, to answer others questions, I do use the stuff, but have said before, I am a dedicated hobbyist, not a production guy.:D

This has NOTHING to do with being a hobbyist OR "Production Guy" as you put it. Neither myself nor Frank (that I am aware of) are running ANY production equipment by the way. We are using the same methods you are to make soft plastics, we just have found ways to maximize our efficiency while using "hobby" equipment. 

I don't always see eye to eye with Frank (and thats been public in the past) but I will stand behind him on this one 100%, you can only speak for yourself, not the rest of the membership at TU. I don't use glass beads (for my own reasons) but I do shoot with salt (I use a lot through out the year) and I have never had to add anything because of it, again, using simple hand injection equipment available through Ultra Molds to everyone here and I use Pourasol from LureWorks, I do add a touch of heat stabilizer when running large batches (2-5 gallons) of White or Pearl to keep the colour true over a long period of time on the heat and thats it. 

We all have our own way of doing things, and that's okay.  I'm sure some of my methods would have been thought of as absolutely ridiculous, but it worked for me.  As long as it works for YOU......that's really all that matters.  I haven't made a bait in years, but I still get a kick out of everyone's input.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1