Painter1

Storage

When this hobby got its hooks in me I went all out with both jig and soft plastics equipment.  I’ve loved every minute of it but now I’m becoming overwhelmed.  

I have a business, 5 Fish Lures LLC , that focuses on Ozark area bait shops, and am focusing on selling custom made bass jigs wholesale since that is what the bait shops I deal with really want a lot of.  But I can’t keep up with that and the plastics.  I just got a 3,000 jig order to fill and am still finishing up the last order.

I have notified the bait shops that plastics won’t be available from me this year, though the BTS Craws, Custom “Leggy Centipede” and Finesse Worms are very popular.  I am shipping out the last of those to my best client and then need to make space in my shop for more jig production.  While I just recently offered to sell the entire plastics operation, unless someone buys it very soon I need to put this stuff in storage.  I enjoy making the soft plastic baits and may get back to it in the future unless it sells. 

I can put it in temp controlled space but am wondering about prepping the equipment and materials for storage.  

Those dessicant capsules that come in pill bottles would seem like a good idea for the glitter and powders, oiling up the shooting star systems and pneumatic clamps with (???) would seem necessary.  I have a lot of colorants and don’t know how to preserve them or what their shelf life is.  I figured to put mothballs in every package to keep critters out and then shrink wrap.  

Your ideas are most welcome. 

In some ways, I am the perfect one to answer your questions.  LOL  It seems like my stuff has been in storage for half of my life since I took up making plastics in the 80's.  But, I am a hobbyist, so there will be others that can help more.

First, Plastisol and and the colorants will separate over time, and even hardpack.  I have a bottle of White and a bottle of Plastisol I have had now for about 5 years that I have not used and both are separated out.  I keep them to experiment with, but I have little hope that either will be usable.

Second, it is a great idea to shrink wrap your equipment.  If you live in an area of high humidity, it is critical that you dehydrate and keep all metal components dry.  The last thing you need is to open it up in 5 years and have it rusted.  I prefer to use Silicone based lubricants.  They tend to not collect dust and contaminantes as bad, but, again, this is tough.  If I was doing this in Louisiana, it would have been almost impossible and after just a year there I had several metal items rusted.

12 minutes ago, Basseducer said:

Colorants will settle and sometimes become unusable. The glitter may be ok, but by the time you get back into it there may be new stuff on the market anyway.