JustSlayin

VERTICAL JIG FINISH. HELP NEEDED

You might get a better response if you post this under the wire baits forum, but I will take a stab at it because many of us use the tape for our hard baits as well.

If your vertical jigs are flat sided, it is normally pretty easy.  Cut your tape, place it upside down on a foam pad or sponge, then press the lure on.  Use the pad of your thumbs to work the tape, starting from the center and working out.  Most lure reflective tapes have a fairly slow curing adhesive so you can pull up edges and replace it again.  The reflective tape I have used normally takes 72 hours to fully cure, once that has happened, it is normally waterproof.  I clear coat it so that does not matter so much.

If your lures, or jigs have curves to them, then flat tape will simply not go on flat, you must stretch the tape, warp it, do something to make it fit.  Warming the tape with a hairdryer as you work it out from the center sometimes helps.  Sometimes using a burnishing tool, like a bone or plastic rod can help.  I have a plastic orange peeler with a perfect shape on one end that I use.  Everyone has their own way.

To be honest, I really don't like to use "tape" all that much anymore, but sometimes that is the best and only way.   I even got some Duck brand duck/duct tape that was holographic to try, but it is metallic and stretch/warping just won't work.  I place cuts in it so it can overlap, then I later use a sharp knife to trim the extra.  I still use my orange peeler, working from the center out.  I also use art deco foils and heat transfer foils (applied with 3M spray adhesive).  I have some holoform and some chrome coming from WTP inc.  I can't wait to experiment with it.

Good luck with your endeavor.

25 minutes ago, Anglinarcher said:

You might get a better response if you post this under the wire baits forum, but I will take a stab at it because many of us use the tape for our hard baits as well.

If your vertical jigs are flat sided, it is normally pretty easy.  Cut your tape, place it upside down on a foam pad or sponge, then press the lure on.  Use the pad of your thumbs to work the tape, starting from the center and working out.  Most lure reflective tapes have a fairly slow curing adhesive so you can pull up edges and replace it again.  The reflective tape I have used normally takes 72 hours to fully cure, once that has happened, it is normally waterproof.  I clear coat it so that does not matter so much.

If your lures, or jigs have curves to them, then flat tape will simply not go on flat, you must stretch the tape, warp it, do something to make it fit.  Warming the tape with a hairdryer as you work it out from the center sometimes helps.  Sometimes using a burnishing tool, like a bone or plastic rod can help.  I have a plastic orange peeler with a perfect shape on one end that I use.  Everyone has their own way.

To be honest, I really don't like to use "tape" all that much anymore, but sometimes that is the best and only way.   I even got some Duck brand duck/duct tape that was holographic to try, but it is metallic and stretch/warping just won't work.  I place cuts in it so it can overlap, then I later use a sharp knife to trim the extra.  I still use my orange peeler, working from the center out.  I also use art deco foils and heat transfer foils (applied with 3M spray adhesive).  I have some holoform and some chrome coming from WTP inc.  I can't wait to experiment with it.

Good luck with your endeavor.

Thanks for the info I'll give the blow dryer a try!