IslandBass

Using a Dremel Tool for Making Hard Baits

I am planning to buy a Dremel tool to speed things up with regard to lure making (using it to shape lure bodies at the very least) and when I went to the store, I found there were two types. One model was single speed and the other had variable speed capability (both @ 35,000 rpm).

If I recall, I think the single speed is cheaper. For the purposes of makeing lures, is it better or necessary to have such control over the speed?

Thank you in advance for your input. I've hand carved several prop baits and poppers from bass wood dowels and each took about 20-30 minutes to shape a sand and as much as I think of it as a labor of love, it is also taking up more time.

--IslandBass

IMO, by far a variable speed Dremel is worth the extra cost. I have found myself using the differing speeds when working with different hardness/ types of woods. I dont think 35,000 rpms is really needed to make much sanding headway on a soft piece of balsa vs where you might need it with a piece of kiln pine or banak. One lapse of concentration at 35,000 rpms while sanding on balsa and you might have an unexpected, newly shaped lure :pissed: ... being able to gear down to 5,000-10,000 is a very nice feature IMO. Good luck with the model you choose.

KL

www.customluresunlimited.com

Kudos to Dremel. There are quite a few grinding tools out there now, some less expensive and some more, but I think I will frame my old 7.2 volt 2-speed 10,000-15,000 rpm portable. I have ground alot of hardwood lures with it, use to use it constantly on the job, etc., and the only thing that has ever worn out on it are bits and batteries. I was on the verge of buying a corded model with flex shaft, but the new cordless with batteries lasting four times longer will be my next one, enabling me to work on lures while lying in a hammock if I want, while the wind blows the dust away.

Dean

You should definately get the variable speed unit I also highly reccomend that you get the router table and flex shaft attachments. With the router table you can round off the corners quite easily.

When using the flex shaft hang the dremel above your work surface and use small cutters for fine detailing gill plates mouths eye sockets etc.

everyone should own a dremel, an irreplaceable tool. Multi-pro is the model you want.

Hey Dean, have you seen anyplace selling the charger unit for the dremel mini-mite? I saw you mention batteries & I love the small mini-mite for intricate work, but lost my charger during a move & could never find a charger, batteries yes, charger, no.

Let me check for you Red, I may have an extra charger, I burned one of mine out last fall somehow and may still have the charger.

As far as which dremel? Go for the multipro...but if you can afford it then I would recommend the Foredom over the Dremel: 35,000 rpms doesn't have anything on 1/4 hp Foredom. JIM