tabutler

ETex topcoat problems

I am having a problem topcoating my baits. I am using Createx paints and then topcoating with etex and putting them on a turner. My problem is the etex is not coating consistently. Once I take them off the turner some parts will be thicker than others and some parts will not be coated at all as if the paint is repelling the epoxy. I let my paint dry a day before coating. The conclusions I can come up with is my turner is too fast. It is a rod turner and I think 17 rpm. Another thought is I’m not letting paint dry long enough or epoxy just doesn’t like certain createx paints like pearls. Anyone have any advice on this? I finally can put a pretty good paint job on only to screw it up with topcoat.

Thanks

Hi tab, good to have a new person on site.

Without knowing how thick your Createx paint is, we cannot know if 1 day to dry is enough.  Many of use use a heat gun or hair dryer to dry and cure the Createx paint.  Heating it causes it to cross-link so it is stronger, but it is NOT necessary.  Still, in your case, heating with a hair dryer between layers should fix any drying issues.

Next question is how are you putting the Etex on the lure?  Most of us use a soft bristle brush, but recently we have a member using latex gloves and his finger.  Either way, the lure must be totally coated, thin, but coated.  Any missed spots will not self level enough to get it.  Also, you need to make sure you get the clear coat on as soon as possible, before it starts to set.  Some like to leave it for 3 or 4 minutes to let it firm up a little, but I find that if I mix slow to keep the bubbles down, I can't wait that long.

If you are getting areas of pull back, or what we call fish eyes, then it could be you are touching your lure with your fingers and getting oil on it after you paint it.  Oil will cause the fish eyes to form, so keep fingers, oil, and dirt off the lure.  If I have concerns, I use a damp rag with alcohol to clean the lure before clear coating.  If the damp rag removes paint, the paint probably was not dry enough.  

Now, as for 17 rpm.  that might be a little fast.  I looked at mine and I do about 4-5 rpm.  But, the problem is that it is a factor of how far your turner has the lures form the center of rotation.  For example, if the distance is 5 inches, you velocity and related centripetal force is one thing, but if it is 10 inches, it is much much greater, 4 times greater.  For a rod turner where the rods are thin, 17 is about right, but for lures held out at 10 inches, those lures are flying around, and this could cause the coat to be moved by centripetal/centrifugal forces.  I don't know if a picture would show the coating well enough, but it if does, it would help to see it.

My best suggestion to start is to hover your mouse over ACTIVITY at the top right of this screen.  When the drop down menu shows up click on search.  Enter Devcon, Epoxy, Etex into the search and then just go over the years of work on this.  I don't use bar coatings like Etex, or epoxy clears, much anymore, but I still have my stuff.  It is a good material, but like most things, it takes a little practice to get the hang of it.

Thanks for your input. I am heat setting when I paint. I turned five baits on the last run and epoxy seemed to mound on the same areas of each one (the back) so centrifugal force is probably one of my problems. I also epoxy and turn them before I paint and don’t seem to have the problem so maybe the epoxy can slide on the paint a little easier. I have been afraid to wipe them down pre top coat for fear of messing up paint but it sounds like a good test to see if they are ready for topcoating? I guess at this point I will add another coat to get full coverage. I’m tempted to try a different topcoat for ease and time(water base) just haven’t read up enough about them to know.

I think your main problem is the 17 rpm.  Etex contains solvent so is thinner and is more finnacky about fisheyes than glue type epoxies like Devcon, etc.  Guys successfully use turners in the 1.5 to 8 rpm range.  I agree with Anglinarcher about water based clearcoats.  Several have been tried here on TU and none were found to be very durable or waterproof.

Edited by BobP

One other thing that can cause issues when the epoxy is curing is slop in the gears of the motor, coupling or any other area. Be sure that the lures rotate all the way around nice and smooth. Excessive slop will cause hesitation in the  turner and can cause some pooling of the epoxy while curing. Found that out the hard way. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DoubleT said:

One other thing that can cause issues when the epoxy is curing is slop in the gears of the motor, coupling or any other area. Be sure that the lures rotate all the way around nice and smooth. Excessive slop will cause hesitation in the  turner and can cause some pooling of the epoxy while curing. Found that out the hard way. 

Seen that too. when the wheel is off balance because some baits weigh more than others, it will kinda slam at one point on each rotation. you need to make sure that you have a strong enough motor that is able to resist the slipping when soemthing is off balance oon the wheel

• Like 1