Porkrind

Ultra Molds Hand Injector?

Hi all I’m new to the forum and just starting to make soft plastics for my own personal use. I’ve made lots of other fishing tackle so I thought why not I really enjoy it. I called Ultra Molds and spoke to them about ordering a hand injector and followed it up by ordering a large one, my question is did I waste my money on a single injector or should I have bit the bullet and ordered a dual injector? Also, does anyone have any feedback on Ultra Molds injectors and molds? Thanks

It is fine to start with.

When you are ready for the dual injector give Basstackle strong consideration because it has locking nozzles.

I hand pour the belly on a lot more baits than I  dual inject.  Or I go the laminate plate route (either a purchased one or make one out of thin aluminium flashing). 

But I'm pouring only for myself vs selling.

I have lam plates for several of my molds and they are tedious.  I broke down last night and ordered the twin injector. Be sure to go and check out the video on their site if you are seriously considering it. It cleared up my questions and pushed me over the edge to order it.

http://www.basstackle.com/TWINJECTOR_p/twinjector.htm

• Like 1

6 hours ago, underwatersniper said:

I have lam plates for several of my molds and they are tedious.  I broke down last night and ordered the twin injector. Be sure to go and check out the video on their site if you are seriously considering it. It cleared up my questions and pushed me over the edge to order it.

http://www.basstackle.com/TWINJECTOR_p/twinjector.htm

Hey thanks for the plug cause that’s  my video I did years ago. Glad to see it is helping others out still. So if you still have questions they will be answered quickly. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Unless something has changed recently, Ultra Molds' dual injectors  only work with their Shooting Star pots.

If you're using presto pots or microwaving in Pyrex cups you will certainly need the type of injectors that Bass Tackle sells. They have the best dual and triple injectors available anyway. The best part is they disassemble easily and can be used as single injectors. Comes with blending block too so there's nothing left to buy!

• Like 1

My new injector arrived this evening and I was a little surprised. Ultra molds added a cutout and roll pin to create a locking mechanism similar to others. I paid $58 for the large single injector which was fair in my opinion. Here are a couple pictures I took of it.

E93596E7-2D67-467B-995C-42879D08E21E.jpeg

E8AA7743-D9B2-4B67-8CE8-FB3222C0ABD8.jpeg

20 minutes ago, Cub48 said:

The baits when using plates sometimes will split when u put the hooks in. When u use the dual injector they don't split where the two colors are together. Cub48

@Cub48 that is some important information to know. I appreciate that as it could definitely sway my opinion. Had I not read that I probably wouldn’t really consider it.

Another thing to consider is that there are a lot of great colors that only look good when they blend some. I personally think it looks more natural than a distinct split line but that's just me. Laminate plates are more of a pita too, doubles your time really, but you can save all the left over sprues for re melting. It's give and take I guess. But I couldn't imagine not having a dual injector in my shop.

20 hours ago, BHLures said:

Another thing to consider is that there are a lot of great colors that only look good when they blend some. I personally think it looks more natural than a distinct split line but that's just me. Laminate plates are more of a pita too, doubles your time really, but you can save all the left over sprues for re melting. It's give and take I guess. But I couldn't imagine not having a dual injector in my shop.

@BHLures this is why I love the forum. It’s a never ending plethora of knowledge. Would any of you guys have a pic that might be able to show the difference in what he is describing? Thanks

I just added 2 pics to the the soft plastics gallery. The top 2 minnows in the pic were done with lam plate the bottom 2 were done with twin injector. With lam plates I have had problems with flashing, incomplete shots and even the 1st half bunching up in the mold while shooting the second half. The issues with the twin injector is getting it to shoot both  halves correctly. Some of my larger crayfish look like 75/25 instead of 50/50. Still working out the bugs on this twin injector. Part of my problem may be unequal heat but I am thinking my biggest problem may have been that I was using 2 different brands of plastics on the batch I had trouble with. I am still really new to this as well.