Mad Moose Baits

Exhaust fan over lead pot question

Points to consider if planning on using bathroom exhaust fan. They are designed to move moisture ladden or stale  air using a plastic fan blade and a cheap open or synchronous motor. Not sure how long either will last if you are using a fuel source burner to melt your lead. It will see much higher air over motor temps than designed for. Also  motors  used in them  are not very strong to push heated air through a duct system nor do they generate a lot of pull or suction to draw air into your cabinet or hood and force it out of your area. I would suggest using a range hood system with  metal squirrel cage fans and variable or multi  speed motor. It would  also give you some lighting depending on the style of range hood used. Another bonus with using a range hood is they come equipped with a flapper  or back flow louver to stop outside air pushing back into your hood on windy days.  If you are just using  electrics to melt with you may be ok.  Just some things to think about before you design your go if you have not already thought about them already.  People upgrade and throw out perfectly good  kitchen exhausters when doing renos. I picked mine up at the side of the road and built my hood around it. Added variable lighting up to  200 watts using ceramic bulb fixtures for higher  heat application. Hope this helps

• Like 2

I am now mostly retired but since my livelihood was based on the removal of Lead Based Paint (LBP), as a State Licensed Inspector and LBP Removal Designer in concert with Industrial Hygienest and Consulting Engineers, I’ve learned a lot about lead and other heavy metals on human health.   While not meant to hijack the thread or minimize good ventilation planning there are some higher priority factors for your consideration. Please find the following suggestions

1) Find or fabricate a lid for your lead furnace.  It will save energy and hugely limit emissions. Also remember your almost certainly not heating lead to a boiling point where is becomes dangerously gaseous. 

2) Read and understand the primary method of lead poisoning/high blood lead levels.  That is INGESTION.   The heat that comes out of the melting pot is not nearly as dangerous as the dust and small filings typically generated after casting.  

3) Lead dust on your workbench is the 2nd most dangerous condition.  Most dangerous is smoking with dirty, dust laden hands.  Carefully clean up your work space, your hands and your face.  If you have young children wash and keep your clothes away from them .

4) When you get your annual checkup and they do blood work ask them to check your “Total Lead” level. It’s typically $35.  If you score at or higher than 50 ug/100 m1 do something about it.  

By the way, I have a large commercial / industrial kitchen hood over my work space but mostly because of plasitol (soft plastics) fumes. I run it very low or not at all when making jigs. My blood lead is typically between 2-4 ug/100 m1. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Painter1 said:

I am now mostly retired but since my livelihood was based on the removal of Lead Based Paint (LBP), as a State Licensed Inspector and LBP Removal Designer in concert with Industrial Hygienest and Consulting Engineers, I’ve learned a lot about lead and other heavy metals on human health.   While not meant to hijack the thread or minimize good ventilation planning there are some higher priority factors for your consideration. Please find the following suggestions

1) Find or fabricate a lid for your lead furnace.  It will save energy and hugely limit emissions. Also remember your almost certainly not heating lead to a boiling point where is becomes dangerously gaseous. 

2) Read and understand the primary method of lead poisoning/high blood lead levels.  That is INGESTION.   The heat that comes out of the melting pot is not nearly as dangerous as the dust and small filings typically generated after casting.  

3) Lead dust on your workbench is the 2nd most dangerous condition.  Most dangerous is smoking with dirty, dust laden hands.  Carefully clean up your work space, your hands and your face.  If you have young children wash and keep your clothes away from them .

4) When you get your annual checkup and they do blood work ask them to check your “Total Lead” level. It’s typically $35.  If you score at or higher than 50 ug/100 m1 do something about it.  

By the way, I have a large commercial / industrial kitchen hood over my work space but mostly because of plasitol (soft plastics) fumes. I run it very low or not at all when making jigs. My blood lead is typically between 2-4 ug/100 m1. 

Awesome advice, what mask do you use or recommend for pouring and smelting lead?

I don’t wear a mask when I make Jigs, because I don’t do things that would cause me to ingest it, but if you do choose to wear a respirator, look for the purple edged 3 m cartridges.  They are made specifically for filtering LBP dust smaller than 10 microns. 

I buy 100 lbs of lead nuggets from Robometals and it requires very little cleaning or fluxing. 

When I clean up, I  NEVER do it with compressed air  Always a HEPA vac and/or wet rags.  I scrub well before going in the house and leave my work clothes in the shop, including shoes. 

On 2/14/2018 at 4:02 AM, 21xdc said:

Any and all fans will work much better if you pour in a booth..  It will draw air from one side and not allow  anything to escape. Pics are before I bought the fan. 

Just curious, but why such a hefty filter?  I know you don't want the exhaust piping to clog up but wouldn't the big furnace filter trap the dust and other stuff in your workspace, or saturate the filter itself?  Not trying to criticize, just curious! 

This is also my spray booth for airbrushing.  This is the same size filter that my house furnace uses. I buy them in bulk to work in both. ;)

A small filter will collapse with the power of my fan. I wanted more surface area. 

Edited by 21xdc
  • Like 1

On 2/18/2018 at 11:59 PM, Painter1 said:

I don’t wear a mask when I make Jigs, because I don’t do things that would cause me to ingest it, but if you do choose to wear a respirator, look for the purple edged 3 m cartridges.  They are made specifically for filtering LBP dust smaller than 10 microns. 

I buy 100 lbs of lead nuggets from Robometals and it requires very little cleaning or fluxing. 

When I clean up, I  NEVER do it with compressed air  Always a HEPA vac and/or wet rags.  I scrub well before going in the house and leave my work clothes in the shop, including shoes. 

Hepa is an overused term, you can buy filters that'll let 10 micron and larger through that are called HEPA. A true HEPA, such as for a clean room is very thick and won't fit in a regular frame. Better is to see what the micron count is for the filter and go as small as you can.

I worked for a filter manufacturer before I retired.

Rodney

On 3/9/2018 at 11:09 AM, Oldfart9999 said:

Hepa is an overused term, you can buy filters that'll let 10 micron and larger through that are called HEPA. A true HEPA, such as for a clean room is very thick and won't fit in a regular frame. Better is to see what the micron count is for the filter and go as small as you can.

I worked for a filter manufacturer before I retired.

Rodney

Rodney,

How fine a filter would you recommend for our spray booths?

Mark, sorry I missed this!! What size is the finest powder you use? That's what I would go with. I have a shop vac with as fine a filter as I could find then I put a cloth filter over that, I spilled some white powder, sucked it up with the vac and blew it out the exhaust, so much for clean up.LOL I would go with a 1 micron filter or smaller if that's what you want to do. The other option is to put a box or plenum behind the exhaust to slow down the air and let the powder drop out.

Again, I apologize for the tardy answer. I know I haven't been around much, I've done very little pouring the last few years. I'm going to have my 3rd surgery in 4 years this summer, my left wrist is bone on bone and it's sore as heck. I see the surgeon June 1st, I'll go from there.

Rodney 

18 hours ago, Oldfart9999 said:

Mark, sorry I missed this!! What size is the finest powder you use? That's what I would go with. I have a shop vac with as fine a filter as I could find then I put a cloth filter over that, I spilled some white powder, sucked it up with the vac and blew it out the exhaust, so much for clean up.LOL I would go with a 1 micron filter or smaller if that's what you want to do. The other option is to put a box or plenum behind the exhaust to slow down the air and let the powder drop out.

Again, I apologize for the tardy answer. I know I haven't been around much, I've done very little pouring the last few years. I'm going to have my 3rd surgery in 4 years this summer, my left wrist is bone on bone and it's sore as heck. I see the surgeon June 1st, I'll go from there.

Rodney 

Rodney,

First of all, good luck with your wrist.  We beat the hell out of our bodies when we're young and immortal, and don't know any better.

I will continue to use a dust mask, and a box fan behind me, blowing out an open garage door.  It's not perfect, but I don't get technicolor boogers.

On 5/8/2018 at 11:31 AM, mark poulson said:

Rodney,

First of all, good luck with your wrist.  We beat the hell out of our bodies when we're young and immortal, and don't know any better.

I will continue to use a dust mask, and a box fan behind me, blowing out an open garage door.  It's not perfect, but I don't get technicolor boogers.

That should work as well as anything Mark. 

I'm getting a partial replacement and 2 bones removed, tentative date 6/12, 4 weeks in a cast, 3 to 4 months recovery, I should get the late fall big girl fishing in.

Technicolor boogers would be kwel around halloween.LOL

Rodney

3 hours ago, Oldfart9999 said:

That should work as well as anything Mark. 

I'm getting a partial replacement and 2 bones removed, tentative date 6/12, 4 weeks in a cast, 3 to 4 months recovery, I should get the late fall big girl fishing in.

Technicolor boogers would be kwel around halloween.LOL

Rodney

Man, I hope you got the extended warranty!

Heal fast, and stick 'em soon!