Rnd101

How to get speckles on crank baits

I did paint it but I was just being funny. No worries. The previous posts were correct. It's called stippling. Many ways to accomplish it but I prefer to load the brush and then rapidly hit the trigger. Here is another example. I like to add a couple different colors when doing the stippling as on many craws the colors vary. 

IMG_9320.JPG

• Like 1

On 2/8/2018 at 1:10 PM, DingerBaits said:

Rnd101, the guy who commented before was the painter of this and is a good friend of mine. If you do borrow pictures like this, we like to give credit to the painter. Just common courtesy around here. 

gotcha sorry i wasn't sure who painted it.

• Thanks 1

On 2/8/2018 at 12:15 PM, Benzin555 said:

I did paint it but I was just being funny. No worries. The previous posts were correct. It's called stippling. Many ways to accomplish it but I prefer to load the brush and then rapidly hit the trigger. Here is another example. I like to add a couple different colors when doing the stippling as on many craws the colors vary. 

A dumb question if I may?  I have always done this, as a hobbyist, with the brush flicking. 

Do you have a video of how you "load the brush and then rapidly hit the trigger"?

Pull the trigger back with out pushing it down will load the tip, then just hit the air on and then off.  Depending on what air brush you have you can removed two of the front pieces just so the needle and cap are left and it will load the tip when you try to spray it since the air flow will not be directed towards the tip.  I have an Iwata that i do my splatter patterns with.

• Thanks 2

19 hours ago, DingerBaits said:

Pull the trigger back with out pushing it down will load the tip, then just hit the air on and then off.  Depending on what air brush you have you can removed two of the front pieces just so the needle and cap are left and it will load the tip when you try to spray it since the air flow will not be directed towards the tip.  I have an Iwata that i do my splatter patterns with.

Thanks for the technique share.  I'll try it next timer I'm painting.

I have been just using a fine tip sharpie to add a random series of dots.  Your method seems like it would be a lot easier, and more efficient.

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 2:15 PM, Benzin555 said:

IMG_9320.JPG

Do you give lessons on painting baits? I am like 45 minutes away and would pay for the instruction.

Allen

I struggle with this technique!  

I have tried like Benton suggested with a straw and just made a mess LOL. Sea sponge, ripped sponge, stencil dottied with wood burner, tape, geez I have tried them all.

I have tried loading like Benzin but never took the front two shrouds off the brush I will have to try that. When I was experimenting with this technique I had to reduce the more than normal like 2:1 to get the best results. Do you guys do this with the shrouds off? What paints are you using? I mainly use createx when I care about the paintjob otherwise walmart 50 cent apple barrel and thinner baby! HEHE