ScottV

Do-It Molds WEY375 Wire forms

I own the smaller version Do-It mold for the Herring Head Underspin jigs. They require the WEY375 wire form for attaching the blade assembly. The last wire forms I got from Barlows Tackle were a silver, instead of a black color. They won't fit my mold either. I've emailed Do-It without any response. Has anyone else had problems?

I've never seen black ones before, only silver. If they are truly Do-It wireforms, just call Do-It up and explain to them the problem. You will speak with an engineer, and get his e-mail as well. It would also be helpful for them if you send some pics of what the problem is.  Anytime I had any problems with Do-It products, I received phenomenal customer support. 

There was also a thread on here, where one of TU members posted instructions on how to modify your own and get two for the price of one. I'll see if I can find it.

Thanks Cadman. I think Do-It may have just made a bad batch of wire forms. I ordered some more from a different online supplier where I'd gotten good ones before.  The forms I'd been using for about a year had a gunmetal, dark color to them and they would stay in place in my mold. These I got recently were an aluminum color and wouldn't stay in place in my mold. I'l call Do-It tomorrow. Thanks

I've been in contact with an engineer with Do-it about the WEY375 wire forms and he's been very interested in my problem.  Here's a picture I emailed him showing the newer form on the left and the older form, which fits my mold, on the right.  There's obvious differences. 

20180216_081515.jpg

8 hours ago, ScottV said:

I've been in contact with an engineer with Do-it about the WEY375 wire forms and he's been very interested in my problem.  Here's a picture I emailed him showing the newer form on the left and the older form, which fits my mold, on the right.  There's obvious differences. 

20180216_081515.jpg

You can also send him a few, and they will take care of it for you. They have always done right by me. Just make sure that those are actual Do-It wire forms.

Last year I posted a tutorial with pictures about this issue.  Use the Spoon Wires and cut them all in half (doesn’t need to be exact) with a side cutters.  After you put your hook into the mold, lay the wire into place with the gap in the hoop facing forward.  

Where the wire meets (crosses) the hook, touch and leave a mark on the wire with a Sharpie.  Remove wire, and at the mark, bend the wire 90 degrees (or a bit more) down with your pliers.  Then snip off enough so that the wire sets flat against the hook and the mold closes properly. 

This keeps that wire secure in the jig, unlike the WEY375 wire.  After painting the jig, the swivel split ring slides on easily and a quick pinch closes the gap in the hoop. 

• Like 1

no, I’m pretty sure the hoops are different sizes with respect to being thicker wire.  The smaller ones fit the mold.  I have some big wires for spoons that don’t work in that mold.  

Dont get discouraged, Scott.  I’ve made hundreds of them.  Best blade size, for 3/8 & 1/2 oz is 3.5 willow.