Painter1

Prayer Jig Material

The Faux Bucktail By Fish Skull is exactly what you need.  Preacher jigs require long bucktail, at the very minimum you need hair that is at least 4.5" long but 5" is ideal. The Faux bucktail is nice because it is tapered and looks like real bucktail, it is the best synthetic version of bucktail I ever used. The best part is that it is a usable 6" in length, and that is the entire thing, it looks expensive for a pack but you get a lot and it would be equivalent to about 3 large bucktails so it is actually a deal. There are things that are different, it doesn't have the flare of bucktail so it is a little easier tying but if you need more flare you  need to build up thread behind it or add a chenille ball or something. I found that if the jig has a ring or a ball collar or even a holder like the tear drop then you are fine, you'll get more than enough flare, the only time you need to worry about it is on a bare hook shank or a smooth collar. I hope this info helps and if you want to see it I did a video of a small poison tail jig using it, and the first time I tried it I said to myself that it would be perfect for a preacher jig.

• Like 1

I did a video on how I tie preacher jigs, Gaspumper's  version uses longer bucktail as most have about 1" pf feather coming out the back. I'm guessing it is to resemble a tail but it could also be because it is very hard to find bucktail that long, it took me 2 week of searching deer farms to get bucktails with 5" long hair which when you trim is more like 4.75".  Painter1, I think Gaspumper got the wrong idea about your post, he was probably thinking you wanted to see a preacher type jig rather than information on the material, and as I told you, I haven't tied a Preacher jig with it but I have done poison tail hair jigs and I can tell you it will work just fine for preacher jigs. You can use natural with the faux material as well, the poison tail hair jigs I did had the faux bucktail tied in first and then over top I tied in shorter natural bucktail to give the jig and taper and color transition.

Edited by smalljaw