richg99

PVC.... Azek or Choice Dek?

Howdy. First post.

I read the Locked thread about PVC. I see that my local Lowes offers both Azek and Choice Dek. The Choice Dek is in stock. The Azek has to be shipped in and seems to only be available as a sample board.

Does anyone know if the Azek and the Choice Dek are similar enough to be used as suggested in the Locked Post?

thanks  richg99

16 hours ago, richg99 said:

I brought a couple of samples of the Lowe's Choice Deck home.  I cut a 2 x 3 inch chunk off and dropped it into a large glass.  It sunk, slowly, to the bottom.   I have no idea if this is a good thing or a bad thing.  How does that compare to the Azek product?

richg99

Go online, and check which big box stores, like Lowe's and Home Depot, carry Azek.

I order mine online from Home Depot, and they deliver it to my local store free.

The sizes are limited on their site, so I get the smooth surfaced trim board, and laminate two pieces if I want thicker matl.  PVC pipe glue and clamps make a really good bond, as long as you make sure the two surfaces are flat by sanding them first.

Well, thanks....however, I may have found an "in-store-stocked" solution.  Since I don't intend to make more than a few baits for my personal use, an in-store item helps.

I already had a piece of 1x2 PVC trim from Lowes in my shop. It was hidden in the rafters. 

I cut a 3-inch piece off and dropped it into a container of water. It floated....maybe better than a  bobber! Lowes carries a number of different widths and lengths of Royal PVC. I'll experiment with the 4-foot length that I already own, and report back.  Thanks for all of the help.

IMG_20180213_100114.jpg

IMG_20180213_100119.jpg

9 minutes ago, richg99 said:

Well, thanks....however, I may have found an "in-store-stocked" solution.  Since I don't intend to make more than a few baits for my personal use, an in-store item helps.

I already had a piece of 1x2 PVC trim from Lowes in my shop. It was hidden in the rafters. 

I cut a 3-inch piece off and dropped it into a container of water. It floated....maybe better than a  bobber! Lowes carries a number of different widths and lengths of Royal PVC. I'll experiment with the 4-foot length that I already own, and report back.  Thanks for all of the help.

IMG_20180213_100114.jpg

IMG_20180213_100119.jpg

That's great!  And it gives me another option, too.

Wow, this material sure cuts and sands easily. It has a rough finish where I used the belt sander. My belt sander has an 80 grit belt in it right now.  I have a luncheon appointment, but afterward will switch to a nearly worn out smooth belt and see what happens.   I'm impressed!  richg99

IMG_20180213_113920.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, richg99 said:

Killntime..  so, I presume you do NOT use threaded eyehooks?  I thought I'd buy some, but if twisted ties are the best, I'll try that.  thanks

The Azek trimboard I usually use is strong enough to hold screw eyes, provided I drill a small pilot hole, and, after I've run the screw in and back out again, coat the threads with gap filling super glue before I run them back in again.

17 hours ago, richg99 said:

Thanks guys. Mark, would you mind sharing the length and size of the screw eyes that you are using? My target species would be 30 / 40 lb Stripers and Muskies.

The one I did today I used twisted wire. Rich

http://www.lurepartsonline.com/Online-Store/Screw-Eyes/-092-Magnum-Screw-Eyes.html

47 minutes ago, richg99 said:

Never mind.  After looking at the picture, I see that the threads go all of the way up. I just ordered the two inch size and I can cut them down as needed.   thanks.

Rich, when I run the screw eye back in, after it's been coated with super glue, the squeeze out of glue forms a kind of a faring around the eye.  I leave that to lock the screw eye in place.  I've never had a screw eye move, or unscrew.