richg99

PVC.... Azek or Choice Dek?

Hmmmm.  Super Glue.   Back when I was building some model airplanes out of foam (at age 75 or so)...there was two types of Super Glue.  One would erode the foam completely. The other, special stuff which was more expensive, was "Foam Safe". 

The cut side of the PVC molding that I am using looks like thick foam. PVC is a different material than the true foam that I used on the planes...but...just wondering if Super Glue affects it in any way.  

Screws ordered.    Rich

7 hours ago, richg99 said:

Hmmmm.  Super Glue.   Back when I was building some model airplanes out of foam (at age 75 or so)...there was two types of Super Glue.  One would erode the foam completely. The other, special stuff which was more expensive, was "Foam Safe". 

The cut side of the PVC molding that I am using looks like thick foam. PVC is a different material than the true foam that I used on the planes...but...just wondering if Super Glue affects it in any way.  

Screws ordered.    Rich

None of the superglues I've tried have had a problem with PVC.

I used to build control line planes with one of my boys, back in the70s, and we used the first super glue, the one that came in the clear bottle with the long, thin straw we stuck in the bottle's nozzle.  We used micro beads and superglue to make farings, and never had any problems, but that was probably a totally different glue back then.

There is a big difference between PVC decking and composite decking.  Azek is probably the most popular and easily available PVC decking supplier, but any of them should be roughly the same, and all buoyant.  The composite boards (think Trex or Timbertech) are made of a mixture of resins, wood fibers, and fillers.  They will be much less buoyant, and probably many (all?) of them would sink.  Besides the deck boards, they make several varieties of trim boards of various sizes.  The deck boards seem to have a harder PVC coating on the outer edges, which I've cut off before using the boards.  I started with sample pieces from a local 84 Lumber, and then have been using cut-offs from a decking project I did over the summer.

I love how easy it is to work with the PVC, both cutting and sanding.  Maybe it's easier to work than wood because it doesn't have a natural grain.  I'd guess it's more dense than basswood but less dense than douglas fir.

Does anyone use any special safety equipment (or know if it's even needed) when working with PVC?  I've noticed it has a unique smell when I cut it with a band saw.