Bowldsie

Question about extra plastisol

Hello everyone, I've been reading on the site for weeks trying to learn what I can as I'm a noob. Today I did my first injecting and I have a question about what to do with extra materials at the end of shooting. I mixed up a color with 2 cups of plastic and was left with a little in the container when I was done. The reason I was left with some was because there was only enough to fill maybe half of the the injector which was not enough to fill the mold completely.  I saved what was left over in hopes of maybe mixing all my extra later on and making some strange color. What do you guys do?

Also after I shot my bait, my c tails has bubbles in them, but the rest of the worm was perfect. Any suggestions on how to fix this? The color was pretty light purple, maybe it's just easier to see imperfections?

Ive learned a lot from reading everyone's posts and I look forward to reading and learning more.

It won’t change the color as long as you don’t over heat it. With small batches it is really easy to over heat.  As for bubbles in the tail it could be a few things. One is plastic cooling to fast in a cold mold. Another is to low a temp for the plastic. To hot a plastic could do this too but it usually means small bubbles.  Try keeping the plastic about 310-320 deg. Then shoot till you feel it stop and give the injector a good last push to get out the last bit of air in the tails. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Frank said:

It won’t change the color as long as you don’t over heat it. With small batches it is really easy to over heat.  As for bubbles in the tail it could be a few things. One is plastic cooling to fast in a cold mold. Another is to low a temp for the plastic. To hot a plastic could do this too but it usually means small bubbles.  Try keeping the plastic about 310-320 deg. Then shoot till you feel it stop and give the injector a good last push to get out the last bit of air in the tails. 

Yep, as long as you use the same formula for your color and don't overheat, you should be fine.

• Thanks 1

I'd also recommend cutting the pieces up as small as possible.... the melt quicker which in turn means you shouldn't have to heat as long or as much when melting them down.

Also you might wanna make sure when you "suck up" the plastic the nossle/tip of the injector is fully submersed... if it comes out of the plastic - you'll pull air up in  it that will end up in your bait when you shoot it.

J.

• Thanks 1

Also pull the plastisol in the injector slow pulling fast sometimes it will pull air by the oring. Also like someone else said put tip of injector to the bottom as air bubbles are on top. and hold slight pressure  on injector after shooting mold count about 15 counts this helps with dents and bubbles. Cub48

I have laminate plates for my molds, so I/ll use the leftovers that won't fill an entire mold to male laminated baits. I can only make a few at a time because the mold, injector get too hot, and make the colors run together.

Sometimes I'll add my experiments together, and just get a non nondescript color, or a color sometimes close to the original. I'll use these myself when supplies run low, or if the color comes out pretty ok, I share them with friends.

There's always something you can do with left over plastic.

Also, I pour my hot plastic into the injector, not suck it up, then I bleed off air. Much like preparing a syringe for an injection. Keep your stirring to a minimum. This should help with bubbles.