joelhains

Tube tail cutter

http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/topic/17272-diy-tube-cutter-non-rotary/

This is what I used to base mine off. I made the block, but mine is pretty similar. I've cut a TON of tubes on it and honestly it works pretty well. 

If you want full production, look up my up north brother DaveMC. He's got a fully automated one, but he makes my TON look like nothing.  

I started with the LureCraft press a long time ago. I stressed it real quick and stretched the main bolts on it. I then built one out of a 3 ton arbour press which worked great for a couple years until I got sick of working my shoulder too hard. After that I said screw it and had Leonard at BaitJunkys build me this wonderful device. 2 tubes at a time, bolts to the bench, double activation buttons for safety, runs on air. best thing since sliced bread of you start cutting a lot of tubes. I can sit and cut a couple thousand at a time in a couple hours. 

IMG_0203.thumb.JPG.9b43be55aa99e8b0776511bb89859b7b.JPG

• Like 2

It’s the block, but. I made it heavy duty. Drilled into side of cutter  block  &. attached 

to shaft with set screws.  Works. good. Theirs is high & flimsy in my book. That’s the reason I modeled mine after theirs, but a way more  beefed up version. I’ve cut a bunch on it & replaced the blades once. 

Edited by Les Young
  • Like 1

On 2018-02-19 at 9:22 PM, joelhains said:

Any of you guys willing to post pics of your diy tube tail cutters? I made one similar to the one sold by lure craft but I need some sort of a press to mount it on. I'd like to see what some of you have come up with. Thanks

New to tube dipping and tail cutting..looking forward to seeing all the various cutters out there..

On Thursday, March 01, 2018 at 7:49 PM, bass shack said:

I bought a  55''stand up drill press  at a yard sale for 75$ welded the chuck head in place . cuts effortless  lure craft cutter, have cut thousands of tubes I can cut 100 in 15 min

How about some pics of this? At that speed i could stand to have one for my own use too.

The arbor press is the way to go. I picked up an old 3 ton press one last night after work. Slightly overkill for this workload LOL but its doing the job.  For now, I just have the cutter sutting on it not attached. I'm using a hockey puck (as any good Canadian would) on the plunger. 

• Haha 1