Kreate

Wraps / skins for big swimbaits?

15 minutes ago, FishCandy said:

Don't use these, but they've been around for a bit.

Ditto

If I read these right, the jigskins come in 9" max.  Some of yours are 11".

It is possible to use decals you make yourself.  Check out the video starting about 6:40.

https://www.makelure.com/store/pg/54-How-To-Videos.aspx#prettyPhoto/67/

That is how I made did the following:

http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/gallery/image/17327-red-sided-shiner-1jpg/

Maybe this will help.

• Thanks 1

I have used the Jig Skinz Pro and the foil Jig Skinz on 6-12" Slammer type baits and other big jointed baits. I have done about a dozen so far. I do apply D2T for a clear coat after the skin is put on. 

On jointed baits with V cut joints, I have found it best to use a skin a 1-2 inches longer than the bait. I cut the skin into sections with each skin section slightly longer than each section of the bait. I make each skin section slightly longer than the bait section in case it shifts a bit when it shrinks.  You can trim any extra with a razor knife after shrinking.

I do the back (tail) section first. This way you can tuck that piece of the skin inside of the V cut of the section in front of the one you are covering . This way you can get coverage right up to the joint. Then, I work forward  putting on a section of the skin one at a time.  

If you can, install the diving lip after the skin. Cutting a hole in the skin for the lip can be tough on a large bait.  I cut the lip slot in the bait before skinning.  You can cut out the skin covering the lip slot with an small razor knife.

Skinz don't shrink completely even around the circumference of the bait. Sometimes it can be really noticeable at the eyes which can distort. Before dipping the front section of the skin, I have been hitting the  the back (top) with a heat gun.  This way only the top part of the skin will shrink  reducing the chances the eyes will distort. After heating the back (top), I let it cool for a minute before dipping in the water.

On a real big bait, I have used a couple of inches from the end of one skin to do the tail section of the bait. Then, I finish the bait with a full skin of the same color. You can use the remainder of the first skin on a smaller bait.

• Thanks 1