Walking Dead

Plastic from a 5 gal bucket

19 minutes ago, Walking Dead said:

thinking about a screw tap or transferring to  jugs

I like those ideas.  Keep in mind that if you have not used the plastic up in a period of time, you will need to mix the Plastisol to prevent settling.  Due to that, you might find that the jugs would be easier to mix.  Otherwise, whatever you use you will need to keep the mixing options open.

You could get a screw type lid from the hardware store and then mix with drill acachment and transfer with another plastic cup left inside the bucket of plastic. You could take it out but then you have to put it somewhere. I keep mine in a second container along with the drill attachment. 

image.jpeg

I use a Colman cooler drain on my 1 gallon container  or you could use a boiler drain and to 1/2 conduit nuts to capture the boiler drain in the side of the plastic. I would think that should take the bulk of the plastic out of the bucket and by the time you get to the bottom of the bucket what’s left would be manageable

i can lay my one gallon jug which is kind of square in its side and I can dispense from there. I can post pic later if interested

I still get my plastic mostly from M-F although there are one or two blends I might get from Polysol now that I have tried it.  I'm no muscle man, but I sometimes pickup the whole darn five gallon jug and shake it.  Tires me out pretty quick, but turning it bottom side up is the best way to see that all the solids have been re-suspended.  Then I set jug on the counter or if the counter is full on my seat that I never use anyway, and decant the plastic off into my cooking vessels with a plastic faucet type spigot I got from M-F.  I used to set the jug on top of the microwave, but I have a toaster oven there now I use for powder coating.  I got a couple spigots so I can leave one in each jug.  Usually I use Pyrex, and when I use my stirring pots to make a whole summer size batch of something I use the larger Pyrex to transfer from the jug to the pot.  That also give me good (good enough) measurement for expanding my color recipes to match the size of the batch. 

On 2/20/2018 at 3:00 PM, Walking Dead said:

First time using a plastic from a bucket. Usually using gallon jugs. How are you pourers pulling, dipping, pumping what? Any suggestions to cut some mess and making it easier appreciated.

thinking about a screw tap or transferring to  jugs.

For what its worth, here's what I do.

I buy LC plastic in 5gal bucket. When it arrives, I use my mixer in a drill and blend the bucket for a full 20 minutes, stopping occasionally to scrape the bottom with a dowel looking for any separated material to mix back in.

After the mixing, I use a plastic cup and funnel to transfer from the 5gal pail to five separate 1gal containers. I use Arizona brand tea jugs - slightly clearer than milk jugs, but heavier plastic. I put a swatch of kitchen type platic wrap (doubled for extra thickness) over the opening before screwing on the cap.

Shaking the 1gal jug is not difficult, and pours easily into my Pyrex for heating.

Just my 2cents.

Rick

SE CT

• Like 2