Hey everyone , thanks for the wealth of information here and to everyone who contributes. 

I've been studying about making soft plastics for awhile lurking here and many other sites and couldn't find an answer to a couple questions I would appreciate some input as I start setting up my area to produce some plastics I use almost everyday since I'm retired  and do fish  allot . I'm mainly doing frogs , creatures and ice fishing plastics . 

1 . The most important question to me right now  is , how concerned with cross contamination is everyone when pouring in their garage where misc oils , chainsaws , tools snowblower and the like are stored .? 

2. As I setup my area for this I am starting with 4  of 2 cavity molds and hope to make a between 24 and 48 baits every couple weeks how much space would be appropriate for accomplishing that workbench wise  ?  This area will be solely dedicated to making baits , learning experimenting etc etc .. 

3. For ventilation I was thinking of using a stove top  range hood vented to the outside has anyone done that , what is anyone thoughts on that would it be sufficient ventilation ? 

Thanks in advance I appreciate any thoughts and advice on setting up the area 

Dale 

Personally if your not making that much then you’re ok with what your doing. And if your not pouring frequently then the amount of space is just what’s comfortable to you. Maybe work bench size or so is plenty. Ventilation, get a window fan.  I have a duel and works out perfect 

Thanks Soutx 

completely understand what your saying , wish I had some windows in the pole barn I'm setting up in but that's not possible and the only entrance is the big door which in north Erin Michigan is a little cold in the winter to leave the door open as I only heat the barn with wood. I do hope to expand as my capabilities , techniques and knowledge grows to produce more along with a few projects I've wanted to try for years . How big was your learning curve when u first started ? 

Im learning curve was pretty long lol. I learned everything on my own until I got with a good supplier and started asking the questions I needed answered then everything fell into place.  I was doing everything the hard way l, I didn’t know all the tools and tricks to the trade until I got into the business. Now being in itnfor almost three years I’ve learned a lot and messed up a lot of plastic lol it’s going to happen. 

Cross contamination won' be a problem. I pour in my garage and have all my toys stored there. Just a small work area to store some plastic, coloring. scent. Molds and heating equipment is all you need. Your idea for ventilation should be sufficient for your production. Just keep reading and asking questions, there is a wealth of information here.

1 . The most important question to me right now  is , how concerned with cross contamination is everyone when pouring in their garage where misc oils , chainsaws , tools snowblower and the like are stored .? I would not give it much thought.  As long as you don't actually mix them, no issues should be had.

2. As I setup my area for this I am starting with 4  of 2 cavity molds and hope to make a between 24 and 48 baits every couple weeks how much space would be appropriate for accomplishing that workbench wise  ?  This area will be solely dedicated to making baits , learning experimenting etc etc .. I live in a single bedroom apt.  My wife lets me do my lure making in the dining room.  I can easily crank out more then 4 dozen baits if I want, so I don't think you have any issues.  Expand later as you grow or if you go into production.

3. For ventilation I was thinking of using a stove top  range hood vented to the outside has anyone done that , what is anyone thoughts on that would it be sufficient ventilation ?  The "legal" answer is that the hood range is a good idea and will work well.  Another member just recently installed one for lure making.  The truth is that I don't bother with specific ventilation for my hobby level work.  For your pole barn, I would not even give it a second thought.  Depending on the plastic maker, get an SDS (Safety Data Sheet) and make your own determination.  They must provide you one if you request it.  Now, back to the "legal" answer: protect yourself at all times, proper gloves, long sleeves, safety glasses, ........ I know that this is some of the stuff I have heard others use.   LOL

PS, good to have new members with us Fish.  Welcome to TU.

I pour in my pole style garage all the time. I made a work bench 8' long & have my microwave, colorant, salt etc on it. I have my molds (over 20) in a cheap  Lowes chest type tool box  with pliers, parts for making a rigs & other miscellanious items in  other drawers under the bench. I also have my left over sprue in coffee & creamer cans that have the colors written in permanent marker under the bench & have plenty of room. I  have nails with very small heads nailed into the posts & purling boards & hang all of my  plastics on them sticking the still connected sprue on them so they'll hang straight & have no problems whatsoever doing it the way i do. When i cut tube tails i just sit my press on the workbench & have at it.  I've done 20 gallon of plastic in the last year & it has worked great for me. One thing i'm  thinking i'm going to do is if i can find some used counter top that someone has torn out & use it to make another bench completely down another wall so i can also possibly get into rod building too. Very little room is needed for this hobby, but a man can always use more too. lol As far as a learning curve you'll get it down pretty quickly & don't hesitate to ask for help as there are some great folks here that know their stuff & will walk you through anything that comes up.  Welcome aboard. :D

Edited by Les Young
  • Like 1

Hey thanks everyone for the input I'm ordering everything to get started next week so in a month or so should be all setup to get started and hopefully have some cool things by the time the ice is melted and get the boat in the water.

Les rod building is my next adventure too.  Not that I don't have enough rods already lol 

20 gal of plastics is allot of baits , I fugure once I get dialed in I should break even on plastic cost in the long  run.  Now if I could just figure out how to make the Stanley frog double hooks I would be a happy camper. !! 

Thanks again for all the  input!! 

On 2/20/2018 at 5:29 PM, Anglinarcher said:

1 . The most important question to me right now  is , how concerned with cross contamination is everyone when pouring in their garage where misc oils , chainsaws , tools snowblower and the like are stored .? I would not give it much thought.  As long as you don't actually mix them, no issues should be had.

2. As I setup my area for this I am starting with 4  of 2 cavity molds and hope to make a between 24 and 48 baits every couple weeks how much space would be appropriate for accomplishing that workbench wise  ?  This area will be solely dedicated to making baits , learning experimenting etc etc .. I live in a single bedroom apt.  My wife lets me do my lure making in the dining room.  I can easily crank out more then 4 dozen baits if I want, so I don't think you have any issues.  Expand later as you grow or if you go into production.

3. For ventilation I was thinking of using a stove top  range hood vented to the outside has anyone done that , what is anyone thoughts on that would it be sufficient ventilation ?  The "legal" answer is that the hood range is a good idea and will work well.  Another member just recently installed one for lure making.  The truth is that I don't bother with specific ventilation for my hobby level work.  For your pole barn, I would not even give it a second thought.  Depending on the plastic maker, get an SDS (Safety Data Sheet) and make your own determination.  They must provide you one if you request it.  Now, back to the "legal" answer: protect yourself at all times, proper gloves, long sleeves, safety glasses, ........ I know that this is some of the stuff I have heard others use.   LOL

PS, good to have new members with us Fish.  Welcome to TU.

Sound advice thanks !!