CNC Molds N Stuff

Stupid and Easy

Swimbait hooks.  I needed some swimbait hooks (I put this here because its about lead) in a weight, size, and configuration I just couldn't find.  I was going to make a mold to cast the weights I wanted on those hooks, but in testing the swimbait I didn't want to wait until I get to that,  I used various crimp on weights, bullshots, split shots, and even took the rubber core out of rubber core weights.  It worked for testing and I dialed in what I needed for weight.  Yesterday I stopped at the local tackle store on my way back from picking up some bandsaw blades for my horizontal bandsaw and I decided to pick up some more misc weights when I found somebody already made the perfect weight.  No its not a swimbait hook configured like I want.  Its bulk packaged weights that are ideally sized and slotted to crimp onto hooks.  Packaged by Bass Pro Shops.   They were labeled at $3.99 for a package of a BUNCH.  I grabbed 3 packages in two sizes.  This way I can quickly and easily test different hooks in different styles and weights for any particular swimbait. 

I know a premolded hooks would be best once I have the right hook, but for some of the smaller baits I made I just couldn't find the right hook setup with the right weight.  Either they were too big or they were the type where you have to push the weight thru the bait.  That's ok for a giant swimbait, but it totally destroys a tiny swimbait.  This weight designed to crimp onto a hook instead of onto much thinner line is just the ticket for testing.  

I haven't tested it yet, but I think a bowstring nock crimper might be just the right size.  If not I am sure I have some other crimper that will do the trick. 

Edited by CNC Molds N Stuff
  • Thanks 1

Sorry guys.  I've been swamped in the shop.  Had a big job put me nearly a month behind on everything else, and I've been working through the weekends trying to get back upto speed.  Here is a picture of the weights I found.  Since BPS has discontinued (or so I heard) their wholesale branch these might no longer be found at your local tackle store, but they look like a good solution to dialing in just the right weight and hook for an application.  

Hook Weights.jpg

ive taken split shots and applied them to the hook then put a piece of shrink tube over them and hit it with a lighter,made the finished hook look real nice,of course we were selling them and people really liked them,did that until we purchased a hook mold

Edited by Bogbaits
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Bogbaits said:

ive taken split shots and applied them to the hook then put a piece of shrink tube over them and hit it with a lighter,made the finished hook look real nice,of course we were selling them and people really liked them,did that until we purchased a hook mold

That's a heck of an idea.  Gonna have to try that!

• Like 1

On 2/27/2018 at 8:33 PM, Bogbaits said:

I do the same thing to make weedless underspins using shrink tubing and a wire form.

• Like 3