ddl

something brighter than alu tape?

Myself I have done the aluminum tape, epoxied plain aluminum foil and nail foil. I used both contact cement and epoxy with the nail foil and in all cases I top coat with e-tex. The only worry with the contact cement is that it will de-laminate and I could loose big chunks, but I don’t think that will happen before the pike chew the top coat up to uselessness anyways. I am only a few baits into nail foil baits but I can say I won’t do foil tape again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ddl said:

do you have ever try decofoil?it look really cool.is that something with  near the same thickness of alu foil ?when it's not tape i guess you add epoxy to make sure it will stay there?

Yes, I have some silver decofoil that I use.  I use a 3M contact adhesive, spray it on the lure, let it get super tacky, then place the dull side on the lure and press it down.  I work the material very well to make sure as much as I can get will stick.

I then pull the plastic off.  The deco foil is much thinner then foil, in fact even with the plastic on still it is thinner.  But, the foil is stronger.

I top coat with AlumiUV so it is really tough.  Epoxy or Etex would work very well also.

1 hour ago, aulrich said:

worry with the contact cement is that it will de-laminate and I could loose big chunks,

Never had the problem yet.

I am still looking for the holy grail of reflective coatings.  The thing will happen, in time.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ddl said:

hey guys

im looking for some tape similar to the aluminum tape for duck,but something a lil bit more bright.maybe some brand of alu tape are just brighter than the others?

thanks

Going to be subjective as what do you mean by brighter.  More reflective?    In my opinion the aluminum foil duct tape is by far the best option available to the average guy.  Cost, ease of use and results when done correctly are far better than anything else I have observed in person or on sites.     

jrhopkins has posted some pics showing the foil after polishing 

chrome bait - Copy.JPG

I have several of  the decofoil transfer sheet colors and they give good results but think the foil still wins.  Lure prep becomes a lot more important with thin foils don't cover much in regards to  improperly sanded/sealed baits and very prone to get incomplete transfer of the foil so "splotchy" results.

Only way to really get much better is spend the money and send your baits out to be vacuum depositon, vacuum metalizing, or whatever the current trendy term is.

Edited by Travis
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

that pict worth a lot to me.it prove me one thing i'll try alu tape.it's exactly what i am looking for.do you think it become more reflective when we rub it? because i think the one i have seen at homehardware was not that shinny .i guess the alu tape stick  enough?don't need to add any other kind of glue right?

Edited by ddl

Just the burnishing process will increase the luster but that leaves it far short.   The picture above is from jrhopkins and I believe he uses Mother's aluminum polish.   I have used various polishes including some designed for plastics with good results.

Here is an old jerk bait I did that was burnished with a  wooden dowel (photo prior to cleaning with rubbing alcohol to remove some adhesive that squeezer out at seams and a gray residue that forms during burnishing).  Definitely not as shiny/reflective if not polished.   Some foil tapes are slightly better than others (but only tried a  few different ones).

DSC_0122 (1).JPG

Edited by Travis
  • Like 1

heat transfer foil!

Its used on Tshirts and such. Harder to use than alum tape but when done right end product is much better and tons of color options. I havce tried with just warming the lure but results were not good. now just spray some adhesive on the bait let tack apply the foil and use like an eraser or something to rub it down REALLY REALLY well.

Edited by Matt Moreau

Man, I’ve tried various glue-on foils including Mylar, gold leaf, etc and it ‘s just too finnacky for me to get it the way I want it.  Which of the various spray adhesives to use?  How smooth does the substrate surface have to be?  When to apply the foil?  How best to burnish it down?  I defaulted to adhesive foil and think it has the right level of shine to mimic a real fish.  I like Venture Tape because it has more shine than average hvac tape, is thinner, and has good adhesive.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Matt Moreau said:

heat transfer foil!

Its used on Tshirts and such. Harder to use than alum tape but when done right end product is much better and tons of color options. I havce tried with just warming the lure but results were not good. now just spray some adhesive on the bait let tack apply the foil and use like an eraser or something to rub it down REALLY REALLY well.

guess what i have the heating machine but it's useless ? tks