jonister

Sealing a chugger

I've recently made a chugger/needlefish style lathe lure as well as a few casting eggs. I know lots of guys on the east coast use thinned spar urethane and boiled linseed oil to seal deep into the through holes on these style baits, but as these are just one offs I'm not really looking to go buy a bunch of linseed oil or urethane as it would just expire after this project. My question is, how should I go about sealing in this case? I was thinking I could just use epoxy. The problem is these holes drilled all the way though might be hard to get at. Thoughts? Maybe a long piece of wire or tubing the diameter of the hole? 

You can thin glue type epoxies like Devcon with a few drops of denatured alcohol.  I don’t think thinner decoupage epoxies like Etex would need it.  Just push a swab soaked in the epoxy through the hole from both ends several times and you should have good coverage.

• Like 2

I ended up running a coffee straw through the holes. That seemed to work good and they all soaked up lots of resin. Might do it twice for good measure. If I make a habit out of these I'll have to bite the bullet and get some urethane and just dip them. That would make it simpler.