Muskiebro

Muskie hook hanger size (greenhorn)

I haven't even started making a lure yet but I'm getting close to start.  I've been doing a lot of research the past two months to have a plan and have all my ducks in a row.  About three weeks ago I found this great forum and like to say to everyone I already love this site and the GREAT knowledge I've already learned.  You guys are fantastic.  I can only HOPE to become as an accomplished lure builder as everyone here and some day pass on the knowledge I aquire from you all.  All that being said, I have learned through the hundreds of posts i've read here I'm not doing through-wire as I originally thought two months ago but I want to now make my own hook eyes.  I really want to make everything myself for my lures including hook eyes.  The problem I'm coming across is I "was going to" make them out of .062 ss wire with a barrel twist (which sounds to be great) but I keep reading about .092 screw eyes.  My lures will be for muskie and I'm starting off with red cedar.  Bringing me to my question, can I use .062 wire for the hook eyes for muskie in cedar or should I just use the pre-made .092 screw eyes?  I'm worried about the difference in  thickness for strength.  Hope I get some great info... More questions to come hahahaha!

Welcome to the world of insanity, once you are in you are a goner. I make musky lures and either way you chose will work. But the 0.062 is easier to put the split ring on than the 0.092 is. Just make sure you epoxy them in.  I use both, and either work for me. I use white cedar and also make my lures out of plastic.

Have Fun and Good luck

Raven

Wayne

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Muskiebro said:

I was getting worried about the thickness of the wire.  Thanks for getting me one step closer to starting 

Start! 

What's the worst thing that can happen?  You'll make a bait that gets bitten, and you'll have a hardware failure.

That is part of learning, and a fixable problem. 

I find the only way I really figure stuff out is trial and error.

Figuring stuff out is the fun part of lure making, except for the thrill of catching a fish on something you made!

Keep us posted!!!