jmill

Powder Paint Spray gun booth

Hi Jmill, I see you are new so I wanted to say hi?  :D

I shot into a box when I tested a friends to see how it worked.  Then we dumped the remains into a bottle for reuse.

Pretty primitive, but neither of us are big time users either.  Some did get around the box, but we never gave it much thought.

My system works but it is a pain if not doing at least 4 baits of the same color scheme. My booth is an old box my Red Wing work boots came in.  I glued a paint stirrer to back of the box, part is glued to the base and then the top part is glued to the lid making it stay open. half way down the lid I glued 2 cardboard strips to the inside of the lid, 1 on each side, the strips are 1" wide and 7" long and run down to the bottom of the lid. The strips are glued in on edge and they run the length of the lid on a taper, they start at the outside edge and then taper to a 3" opening at the bottom of the lid.  Just to give you an idea of what this looks like, think of a "V" shape glued to the box lid, this acts like a funnel so I simply have small Dixie bowels that I place in the base of the box under the funnel part. I use a different bowel for each color, so if I'm doing 6 spinnerbaits  in a pearl with a black back pattern, I'll do my white base coat first. So I place a bowel for white powder in the box and I spray the white on my first bait and then place on my rack, and then do the second and third and so on. When I'm done with the white base I go to my pearl, so I remove the bowel with the white powder and place in another bowel for the pearl and then do the 6 spinnerbaits. When that is done I remove the bowel and put another in for black and when they are  all done I simply  dump the powder from each bowel into the proper color of powder.  If I'm just working on new patterns I'm only doing 1 bait at a time from start to finish I don't even bother to reclaim the little bit of overspray because it isn't enough to worry about, I just wipe the box out. I hope you can understand what I did.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gaspumper said:

Smalljaw, approximately how much over spray would you reclaim  on  the 6 baits?

All together I'd say a teaspoon, on a single color it is a very small amount.  It is why when I'm working on new patterns and do a single bait from start to finish I don't even reclaim the overspray.  The amount of overspray will be different for each user as well, I probably wasted a lot of powder when I started doing it as I'm not sure if anyone else was using it. In fact when I purchased my first gun, there wasn't a "powder paint airbrush",  it was a Badger model 260 hobby sandblaster that I picked up on clearance because it said it could spray up to 200 grit abrasive and I figured it may be good to spray powder. Anyway, when I started using it I would just hold the button down and keep a steady stream of powder going, now I spray by pulsing the button in short bursts to get the color exactly where I want it with precision. So I'd say someone just learning to use it will probably have a lot more overspray than what I typically get. I hope that makes sense to you, it really is hard to gauge especially since some colors spray different than others. I will have to sweep white a second time on a spinnerbait head to get it perfect were as most other colors will work with just 1 quick pass so I always seem to have more white powder to reclaim than other colors.

• Like 1