rfdong

Chatterbait blade thickness

Any thoughts on whether the thickness of the blade makes a difference?  I have a few of the old Phoenix baits, and a few coffin blades from Barlow’s when they used to sell them.  It’s noticable in terms of how thick the Barlow’s ones are compared to the old Phoenix blades.  Got me wondering if that would make a difference?  Could see a lighter blade vibrating faster???  Vs maybe flexing under load/retrieve?  Any thoughts?  Or overthinking it?

The original RAD Chatterbait had  a much thinner blade than the blades that you can buy through Barlows, Jann's, or LPO.  Those blades are even a tad thinner (and solid metal rather than plated) than the blades on the original Z-Man baits.  I thought about buying a sheet of thin steel and cutting my own blades.  But, it looked like more trouble than it was worth.  I did make a few blades from tin can lids.  They worked OK.  I have also wondered if a thinner blade would make a different noise when banging the jighead, compared to a thicker blade.