Urbancaveman

Thru-wire glue/epoxy

Hi everyone, I have learned quite a bit from this forum just by browsing but have never posted anything in the past.

I have built a few lures using screw eyes and am looking to try thru wire construction. I am just wondering what type of adhesive I should be using to hold my thru-wire in place? 

I am planning on doing the method of cutting along the bottom of the bait and placing the bent wire inside then filling it with adhesive.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

There are probably dozens of ways to do it.  I’d probably use quick cure epoxy or superglue to fix the wire followed by some auto body filler or even an outdoor caulking material to fill in the voids so it can be easily sanded smooth to hide the slot.

• Like 1

I use a 30 minute epoxy, put it in a ziplock bag and cut a tiny bit of corner off so I can squeeze it as nice as I can into the slot.  I'm working on getting that part a little neater.  Usually ends up being a mess.  Usually does not fill all the way up the slot, I finish the rest off with bondo (car body filler).   Adds a few steps to lure creation, but I would have it no other way.

Thanks for the info everyone, I have used quick set epoxy on others things with no issues but have been told it becomes brittle quickly and I wouldn't want to compromise my lure. I never thought about using body filler but I have about half a can left from some car repairs so I will try that.

Thanks for the info everyone.

Mixing epoxy with sawdust or micro-balloons makes it easier to sand. But i only do that on the outside layer. I anchor the wire with superglue, but use 30 min epoxy. The extra time allows it to soak in better. Some epoxyphobic (did I just invent a new word?)plastic can be used to keep it from running out of place or to make it conform to the curve of the body.