Goatman

Panfish/small bass inline spinner

I am new to tackle building. I wanted to build an inline spinner that is weedless using a ewg small worm hook and a 2 - 3 inch curly tail grub. I tried it out today and it caught fish. I used a French blade. Problem was it didn't turn all the time. Would a Colorado blade work better and not require a rod jerk to start spinning?

This is just my 2 cents. I'm sure there will be opposing opinions . 1st use a folded clevis 2nd use a metal bead under the clevis to act as a bearing and reduce friction . 3rd when you cast it out start reeling then give a yank low and to the side a bit then catch up the line quickly , continue to retrieve . This starts nearly any type blade to spin more proficiently . 

13 hours ago, toadfrog said:

1st use a folded clevis 2nd use a metal bead under the clevis to act as a bearing and reduce friction . 3rd when you cast it out start reeling then give a yank low and to the side a bit then catch up the line quickly , continue to retrieve . This starts nearly any type blade to spin more proficiently . 

Good advice, and this works on almost all problem spinners.

5 hours ago, LimpNoodle said:

Post a picture of your spinner,

This is helpful for sure.

What I suspect is that the bearing is not large enough.  Maybe the diameter of the curly tail is too large or the distance from front is too close.  If the blade starts to spin and hits the side of the bait before it gets up to speed, it does what you describe.  Once the blade gets up to speed, it stands out some so it has more clearance.  

Now, 

18 hours ago, Goatman said:

Would a Colorado blade work better and not require a rod jerk to start spinning?

Possibly.  A Colorado blade stands out more from the shaft then a French blade, which stands out more then a Willow Blade.  But, with a large enough bearing, and a narrow enough curly tail, even the willow leaf blade will work. 

Is the bearing mentioned the metal bead on the wire just behind the clevice? How does the size of that bead/bearing affect blade spin? If there is clearance from front wire twist to clevice how does the length of the wire shaft affect blade spin?

That picture looks weird, but it appears the blade may be upside down but it may just be the picture. The bubble on the French blade should be facing the line tie while the cupped side should be facing the hook. The other problem is your design, that twisted tail and hook along with the bell body looks to be too big for the blade,  if the blade is on correctly go to a larger blade, at least 1 size.

5 hours ago, smalljaw said:

picture looks weird, but it appears the blade may be upside down

Ya. looks like that for sure.

19 hours ago, Goatman said:

If there is clearance from front wire twist to clevice how does the length of the wire shaft affect blade spin?

I will try to sketch something.