KingfisherWI

Airbrush Spray Booths

When I had my man cave I did not use a spray booth.  You might have seen airbrush guy do T Shirts and Motor Cycle tanks and they don't use one.  The overspray from water based paints is not so bad and I could just dust the room and vacuum once in a while.  Wife was upset, but it was MY man cave.

Now that we have sold the house and moved, that is not an option, so I run outside on a calm day.  :blink:

Now, if you are using solvent based paints, a booth is far more important.

Edited by Anglinarcher

I paint in my garage with water based acrylic paints so don’t feel the need for a booth.  It does create acrylic dust which would be a concern inside the house.  If you need a booth inside, a simple box with an extractor fan and a particle filter will do.  If you spray solvent based finishes like lacquer based paint or solvent based topcoats (especially catalyze utethane auto clearcoats which contain isocyanides) That’s a different matter.  Then you need a flame proof fan and an outside vent and should wear a solvent rated mask while you work.

Edited by BobP

A plastic tote with a fan mounted in the back. duct work can be made out of cardboard and sent out a window. Or use a bathroom fan and one of those flexible ducts and send them out through the sill.  Here is what I use - with many items attached to turn it into a work center.

If you plan on spraying laquer, please note additional comments about fan selection

Edited by Chuck Young
addition

On 3/5/2018 at 10:28 AM, mark poulson said:

Use a kitchen hood.  They have explosion-roof fans, to prevent grease fires.

I've racked my brain more than I should have to not come up with a range hood for ventilation.  What an awesome idea.  I've went through inline duct fans, box fan in the window, open window and currently have two computer fans propping the window open.  Either way, dipping kbs with a mask on and the fans in the window just don't clear out the fumes.   Did you have to wire in the range hood or do they make plug in varieties

I used a big plastic tote.  Put added 2 cheap shop lights from Walmart to the top and then put in a 4 inch computer fan in it.    Instead of ducting out, I use the cut squares of the cheap green AC/Heat return filters from Walmart as they are also cheap.   I just replace the green filter material as needed.

Range hoods are a great idea. Get one that actually vents outside. you want the fumes to go outside. They are easy enough to wire. They do not plug in. I am no sure of which wire or plug you would safely use if you jury rigged a plug. Others can comment on that. 

For a spray booth,  you might want to mount it rearward, so the fan is drawing the fumes away from you when spraying. 

On 3/8/2018 at 8:20 AM, Chuck Young said:

Range hoods are a great idea. Get one that actually vents outside. you want the fumes to go outside. They are easy enough to wire. They do not plug in. I am no sure of which wire or plug you would safely use if you jury rigged a plug. Others can comment on that. 

For a spray booth,  you might want to mount it rearward, so the fan is drawing the fumes away from you when spraying. 

Actually, there are a lot of plug-in hoods nowadays.

Do a google search for kitchen hoods, and you should get lots of choices.