calchaz4

Powder Paint with Badger Gun on Spoons

I am new to painting with Powder. I am painting 3-3/4" and 4-3/4" trolling spoons and when I heat them up and try to paint them I am getting residual paint on the backside of the spoons. Does anyone have a good method to prevent this? I want the silver, nickel and gold backsides of the spoons to be pristine.  Also, struggling to blend with the gun. Any suggestions? Thanks

Welcome to the site Calchaz4.  It is always good to have new people.

My experience with the powder spray gun is limited so I will defer to others on this, but a picture of the spray booth/area and the lure would help.

Next, just to help out.  Hover your mouse over Activity at the top right of this screen.  ON the drop down menu go down to search.  Click on it and add your search question.  Years of great information is available on the site.

When I do Ice blades I have the same issue.

Cadman suggested after painting and before curing to wipe off the overspray with some Lacquer thinner.

It works good and my blades end up shiny as new on the back.

I use a q-tip for small ice blades but for spoons a cotton ball or rag dipped in the lacquer thinner would likely be better.

• Like 1

I just got the badger a week ago and was painting some blades but did a little with spoons. I haven’t had any problem with overspray to the back. I heat them from the bottom for at least 40 seconds and then hold them sideways by a pair of pliers in my State of the art paint booth (a sideways amazon box). I do all my blades with my first color and then switch jars reheat and add the second. I think the key is holding the spoon  straight, having the tip of the gun screwed all the way in, and I spray relatively close to the spoon. Only a few inches away to be accurate. 

5568D2BC-60C9-480C-9603-1CB40DDB1409.jpeg

3BA007BC-FED5-4058-AAAB-C1957D74693C.jpeg

202E1E76-5180-412F-A537-2724990EC218.jpeg

• Thanks 2

Nice work cuz! I purchased the same gun to spray the spro style bucktails and the same spoons you got there. Haven't gotten around to the spoons yet. I keep getting distracted by new project ideas. I'm going to have to start writing them down and attacking them one at a time! I've been thinking of trying to powder coat some hooks, the trebles always seem to rust much quicker than single hooks.