brownb56

Looking for info on 7" tube baits

Trying to make some large tube baits for lake trout fishing. Not finding much info on how to make them. Haven't been able to find any molds or dipping rods that big.  Wondering if I could use something as simple as wooden dowels to make dipping rods? Saw a couple older posts that were semi related but didn't want to necro them to ask there. Also if I'm not mistaken all plastic jigs can be melted back down and reused. I know it would be more expensive but was thinking about going to the store and buying a bunch of plastic jigs to meltdown and try making one or two jigs out of just to test the concept and see how things turn out.

6 hours ago, Bogbaits said:

just sold about 7 of the 6.5 inch tube molds,I got them from caney creek molds but he sold out to Do it,they carry the molds,very nice mold,easy to shoot

Thanks for info. If I'm not mistaken looks like about the same diameter as the smaller tubes just longer? Looking for something with a larger diameter to fit over the jig head easily and have a larger profile.

I sold these for almost 8 years,not thin at all they aren't real fat but not thin,My customers loved them,,they fit over a very large jighead as a matter of fact,you could contact do it for the exact dimentions,I don't believe anyone else makes a mold if your looking for a fatter one you will have to dip it your self,good luck

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, brownb56 said:

Wondering if I could use something as simple as wooden dowels to make dipping rods?

Probably, but a metal rod, plastic rod, or a glass rod would be better.

16 hours ago, brownb56 said:

Also if I'm not mistaken all plastic jigs can be melted back down and reused.

Almost all, but not all.  You would probably be safe assuming it.

8 hours ago, brownb56 said:

If I'm not mistaken looks like about the same diameter as the smaller tubes just longer?

Pretty tough to tell on a picture unless you have something in the picture to give scale.  Still, making your own is always the best way to be exact.

Good luck on your venture.

• Like 1

Thanks, yea couldn't wait. Had to try it. Found the cheapest tubes I could find and melted them down today. Bottom one is store bought, top is the one I dipped using a piece of pex pipe. Used blue glitter from walmart. Definitely going to be ordering some proper supplies lol.

_IMG_000000_000000.jpg

• Like 1

Over the weekend my son and I were watching some fishing content on YouTube and it was the first time we saw big tubes, my son and I looked at each other and agreed we had to try and build some. What really struck me was that were rigged more like swimbaits so I looked into how to rig the big tubes I did find this  video talks about how to rig a commercial product but it goes through how to rig it from swim bait to vertical jigging.

Construction wise,  I will either get a solid bar of aluminum and grind a tip or a bar of aluminum and make a bondo tip, probably in the 1 1/8” – 1 ¼” range .  The closest thing I could think was halfway safe to dip in short of a presto pot, is a canning jar since it is tall and made of heat tolerant glass. But I would have it standing in another container to protect from failure.

• Like 1

Sometimes old threads must be reminded.

Perhaps this old thread could be useful

http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/topic/20756-tubes-thanks-guys-for-your-suggestions/

If correlated links inside posts don't work anymore, then try with this one

http://www.bassmaster.it/a_tube.htm

There are two interesting videos, their main concepts are explicated in TU thread.

Bye

Cami

• Like 2

On 3/7/2018 at 7:43 PM, brownb56 said:

This was the first one I dipped. A little ugly and bigger than i wanted. Used a wood handle from a toilet plunger lol. Came off pretty easily.

20180307_125257.jpg

Looks like you are getting closer, there is no better bait for lake trout that the great white tube jig! I even drop shot smaller ones for slot buster cutts here in the fall.

I am going to try my hand at 3d printing making really large tube jig posts and hand dip. Ill post here when with what I find, Fish Lake Macs better watch out at ice off!