ddl

cottoncordell g finish

Below are some pics. It is used by Cordell, Heddon, Rebel and some of the other Pradco / Lurenet.com brands.   On older lures from the 60s-80s, the packages had a silver reflective dot on them with a big G and ‘guanine finish’ written on it. Lurenet still sells some lures with that finish.

The finish is tough to see in the pics. It gives off sort of an iridescent glowing reflection when in light. It is supposed to mimmick the flash given off by fish scales. It's a cool effect. I have had a lot of luck on the G-finish spooks.

cordell g-finish spot.jpg

heddon g finish spook.jpg

rebel r g-finish.jpg

• Like 2

we see a lil bit of the g paint on the rebel cranks.btw i was sure it was just on the cotton cordell,my best one was the gold and the silver  g finish  ripplin redfin.when it was sunny  it was  killer for pike ,i have never seen a cool paint like it.i would be surprise to  see someone with a paint like it but who know

Edited by ddl

The closest I have come to the G-finish was by using Folk Art hologram glitter . The glitter is very fine and suspended in a white liquid glue. I paint the bait, let it dry thouroughly, brush the glitter on the bait, let dry, then clear coat. The glue is supposed to dry clear. It dries with a slight cloudiness. It works well on white, pearl or similar colored baits where the milky cloudiness doesn’t show up. On a white bait, the hologram glitter shows well through a D2T clear coat.

I think the G-finish on the lures from the 80s and earlier was better looking and more durable. I have some old baits that still look good. The G-finish on the newer baits is hit or miss. The newer G-finish tends to chip and flake off much easier than the old ones. I think the Heddon Original Spook in G-finish shad is the best looking example of G-finish that is sold today. Unfortunately, pictures do not do the finish justice.

I ran into a person who worked for Heddon and later Ebsco-Pradco. He said, that even before some the Pradco brands (Heddon, Arbogast, Cordell, Rebel. Smithwick) were under the same corporate umbrella, the companies would let other companies copy their paint schemes if the other company did the same for them. The first G-Finish bait I saw was a Heddon Tadpolly I bought in the 70s.

• Thanks 1

kind of strange out of the thousands guys that work or have work for rapala and pradco we still dont know the clearcoat used by rapala and the g finish paint.i guess they hide the brands of the bottles they are using .

That Duplicolor looks great.

I had thought G-finish came out in the 70s. It was apparently introduced by Heddon in the mid-80s on the Zara spook, torpedo, and tadpolly. Later, it was used on other baits and brands. The guy I know couldn't recall anything about the paint or clear coat used.

10 hours ago, mark poulson said:

Woodie,

Did you try clearcoating over the g-finish?

hi we used the g finish baits here on lake erie on walleyes. when the g finish blew off we re painted . there primer never adhered to the blank. .we just re-painted them. other then the riplin redfin style ,as I said re-paint. that was back in the 1988-91 period.

• Thanks 1

https://www.paintwithpearl.com/shop/chameleon-paint/blue-green-chameleon-paint-pearls-4759bg/

I found this link to pearl powders that can be mixed in a clear coat or transparent base. Perhaps the green to blue color shifting one is wrong. They also have "ghost pearls" that have a holographic type of color shift. $25 woth of pigment does 1 qt of clear coat. Not sure about the sipping terms. But it might be worth a try. Keep me posted if you try it. Sounds like a cool effect. And if you do it right - it should stick better than the origional.