ddl

cottoncordell g finish

16 minutes ago, JD_mudbug said:

Guanine finish is G-Finish. The G stands for guanine. Guanine is a compound found in DNA and RNA.

A crystalline form of Guanine is found in fish scales. It gives fish scales a flashy iridescence.  

G-finish is an attempt to mimck the flash given off by a darting fish,

Thank you for that answer.

It must be a difficult process (expensive), or I'm guessing more companies would be using it.

Heddon got a patent for their G-finish in the mid 80s. It may still be active.  Other companies would have to find a work around, which may not be possible.

There are numerous steps to making the finish. On a large scale, I don't think it would be expensive due to automation. I think the problem is mostly the durability. Heddon still makes the Zara Spook in G-Finish shad for $7-8. I always thought it was a cool effect. If you are in a Bass Pro Shop or other tackle shop, you can't notice the finish while the lure sits on rack. You have to pick the lure up and rotate it to see the effect.

From what I have heard, the process is something like the following:

lure is painted

a thin clear is applied

a thin layer of metallic dust is vacuum applied

a clear tack coat is applied

micronized transparent spheres are applied to the tack coat

several coats of a uv-sensitive clear are applied to seal in the tiny spheres

a final clear is then applied.

From Heddon

... an effect which is similar to the iridescence or guanine effect from natural fish scales characterizes the lure finish. The reflected light seems to emanate from a source located at a depth within or below the surface of the coating. As the lure is turned, the color of the reflected light changes -- that is, the wavelength absorption characteristics of the coatings appear to be such that in one angulation or orientation of the lure in the incident light, the reflected light will appear, for example, to be a pale yellowish or yellowish off-white in color, and in another angulation or orientation, the reflected light will appear to be silver or white. The lure thus has a surprising similarity to some natural bait species.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Nathan said:

Chuck Young,

paint with pearl is a great company to work with..I’ve bought several of their glitters..Nathan

hey sir do you have by chance some pics  to see the result of that paint or glitters ?