fishon-son

copy machine

redg8r pasted a video of a copy machine ages ago, but I was not able to find it last time I looked.  Might be a worth a YouTube search though.  I don't think it was the only one.  I know having seen a couple I really would not need plans to build one. 

Yep.  A Youtube search for crankbait copy machine resulted in several good results.  All the first 5-6 or so results looked good.   Pantagraph duplicator or carver might also be a good item to search for.  I've seen one setup for "manual" operations that does half dozen copies at a time.  The one I recall wasn't being used for lures, but it could be. 

Edited by CNC Molds N Stuff
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Vodkaman said:

I can't find the video of my attempt at a duplicator. The post is there but the pics are lost.

Anyone wishing to attempt such a project, I am here to assist in any way I can.

Dave

Dave,

I remember your machine!  If I remember correctly, you used it to make lots of a certain crankbait that eventually got outlawed in the city you were living in at the time.

I was so jealous!

• Haha 1

5aa8f54ab1c8f_latheMk1.JPG.c8400ce28091aa92af21d11ac38306e2.JPG

Mk1

Sorry Greg no plans but here are 3 versions of one I have been playing with for about 3 years.

Version 4 was completed about 2 months back, I will get a picture tomorrow.

Meanwhile check this one out, beautifully built but a bit noisy ---and NO GUARDS !!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIcrr3pJZBk

Got me wondering weather  Redg8R 's machine ever got built, he was on the right track.

Copy Lathe Mk 2.JPG

Mk 25aa8f4cfdad12_copylathe3.thumb.JPG.751a394743780a74167ff40f2756cdd1.JPG

Mk3

Edited by hazmail
edit text
  • Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 6:12 AM, hazmail said:

5aa8f54ab1c8f_latheMk1.JPG.c8400ce28091aa92af21d11ac38306e2.JPG

Mk1

Sorry Greg no plans but here are 3 versions of one I have been playing with for about 3 years.

Version 4 was completed about 2 months back, I will get a picture tomorrow.

Meanwhile check this one out, beautifully built but a bit noisy ---and NO GUARDS !!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIcrr3pJZBk

Got me wondering weather  Redg8R 's machine ever got built, he was on the right track.

Copy Lathe Mk 2.JPG

Mk 25aa8f4cfdad12_copylathe3.thumb.JPG.751a394743780a74167ff40f2756cdd1.JPG

Mk3

Personally I would pass on the duplicator unless you are doing production work. I went with a CNC and have never looked back. The cnc gives me the freedom to cut all of the jigs necessary for drilling operations, lip slotting, and cutting  lure bodies with minimal sanding. Want to change your design? No problem, a couple of mouse clicks., wider,thinner,longer. shorter all in a couple of clicks of the mouse. Design to a solid body prototype in hand in 1 hour!! Need lips cut, cut them on the cnc. Need belly weight molds, cut them on the cnc. See the pattern there! J.M.H.O.

• Like 1

I am thinking of designing one anyway. The plan is a wood construction with the fewest metal parts. No welding, perhaps a little soldering of brass parts.

The idea is that anyone with a lure building workshop can build this machine with no other experience required. Don't hold me to time scales, I will do this when I am good and ready. I will also have to build it, to prove that it works.

Whether I make the plans available for free, I have not decided. This will take up a lot of my time, which I might feel that I need compensating for.

Another option would be to offer the machine as a kit, and get my money back that way. The kit would probably be in the region of $1k.

Dave

• Like 1

There are thousands of homebuilt CNC machines out there along with plenty of plans and kits.  Joe's CNC is one that started out as just plans and has grown over the years.  Ahren Johnson at CNC Router Parts has some awesome kit machines.  Even one of those little Chinese machines that cost a few hundred dollars make an ok starter kit if not a good machine.  

I've retrofit machines, rebuilt machines, turned a crappy Chinese router into a useable machine, and I have a couple machine builds (a little more robust than you guys are talking about) in process.  Its not so much about how to do it as choosing to do it. 

There is puh-lenty of information out there.  Just do it.