Agro

Plastisol hardness for mini jigs?

Hey all,

Super newbie to making plastics here. I'm looking to make some crappie tubes in  the 1 1/2" - 2" length by using dipping rods.  It sounds like Baitjunky Calhouns or MF is the way to go. Which hardness should I get though? Also do I need to add heat stabilizer to either of those?

Thanks

42 minutes ago, Jig Man said:

I make a lot of tubes with Calhoun's Medium.  Heat stabilizer is used for reheats.  It is especially important for light colors.

Sounds good. When I sent a message to Bait Junky in facebook, they just replied and t old me to get the hard version for this.

I was thinking Medium would be better as well.  When do I add the heat stabilizer? When It's mixed up and then heated for the first  time?

2 hours ago, alsworms said:

It's best to mix stabilizer to cold plastic, and remember a little goes a long way. 

Copy that. Is there a measurement ratio to follow somewhere? How much for say, 4 ounces of plastic?

1 hour ago, Agro said:

Copy that. Is there a measurement ratio to follow somewhere? How much for say, 4 ounces of plastic?

When it came to stabilizers, I didn't work in small amounts like 4 ounces.  I used to keep a few gallon jugs set aside with extra stabilizer for re-heats, fluorescent colors, heavily salted baits, etc. and I would only use an ounce or 2 of stabilizer in an entire gallon.   Hopefully, someone else can chime in with their stabilizer methods. 

So i'm in the process of ordering some Medium Bait Junky Plastisol but they don't offer Bait Junky additives  like softener, hardener and heat stabilizer. They only sell PolySol? Are these compatible to mix or should I order them from someone else?

12 hours ago, Agro said:

So i'm in the process of ordering some Medium Bait Junky Plastisol but they don't offer Bait Junky additives  like softener, hardener and heat stabilizer. They only sell PolySol? Are these compatible to mix or should I order them from someone else?

That one I can't answer because many of these companies were not available when I poured.  Bait Junky has a great reputation and is a member here.  Hopefully, he can help with that one. :)

• Like 1