MikePaintsBaits

Clear Coating Jointed Baits

If the joint has sharp edges I wouldn’t paint or epoxy inside the joint because epoxy cures away from an edge and the sharp edges will bang against one another when the bait is used anyway, rapidly chipping off the epoxy.  The amount of gap in a joint significantly influences what kind of action the bait has.  You don’t want to decrease the gap by clogging it with a topcoat.  I like to wrap a rubber band around the joint hinge to protect it from topcoat and to immobilize the flexing of the bait while I apply and cure the topcoat.

Sup Mike,

Like Bob mentioned epoxy, sharp edges, thickens.....all dont go well together ona bait you cannot modify or adjust. Thus I cannot be much help with expoxy as I do not use it for that application. If you can disassemble that would help and that is how I prefer to TC my baits is by sections.

If it helps here is my method using a dipping or spraying medium as a TC. When I cannot disassemble or its a friends bait I am doing and dont want to take it apart because it usually involves another small hole I use rubber bands. just wrap the rubber bands around the joint using a half hitch to make it nice and tight. It will lock up the joint so it stays straight and protect it from any TC, then I just use an exacto once died and cut them out. works like a charm and pretty easy. I got that tip here probably 10 years ago. Dont go crazy and wrap a ton around.....wrap just enough less is more.  

• Like 1