BWDORMAN

Spinnerbait advise

I am new to the group and new to the lure building world so I have a few questions.  I want to make a spinnerbait that mimics a War Eagle.  Does anyone know what size wire they use?  I purchased .35 but it seems to bend easier.  What hooks do they use?  I purchased 3/0 but the gap is not as wide.  I am using a Do-It mold SJ-4B-A, I want to make 3/8 oz spinnerbaits. The mold calls for 2/0 or 3/0 for that weight but it seems too small.  What hooks are recomended?  I know I will have many more questions but thank you all for your help!

Welcome to the forum, good to have new people.

I don't know one of my spinnerbaits in the fishing  box from another so I can't check them.  But.... you can get a micrometer and check the wire thickness.  It may be titanium instead of stainless steel or maybe a hard stainless steel instead of a soft one.  It can be much more difficult to determine the material so start with the right diameter then go from there.  Testing different materials can get tiresome, but I will provide a link to help find sources.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#metal-wire/=18vc5z4

As for the hook size and mold, that can always be harder.  Hook sizes are easy to adjust, but if the mold is a custom mold, a proprietary mold, then things get a lot harder.  You might find that only a custom mold will work.

Now that I have broken the ice, I am sure others will jump in to fix my mistakes.  :D:yes:

PS, to help you on this site, hover your mouse over ACTIVITY and when the drop down menu shows then go down to search.  Click on search and enter your search items.  We have years of information and a lot of the time we have answered the question before.  But, I don't think so this time.  LOL