chanceb23

What colors are needed

Hi everyone

I am still new to painting my own crankbaits. I normally paint gizzard shad, sexy shad and other natural shad patterns. I paint for myself and for family and friends, not looking to sell them or create a business. So my question is what are the must have colors to keep on hand. I am venturing out to learn a bluegill pattern, craw pattern and possibly a crappie pattern. But I want to grow as a painter make sure I have the colors needed to accomplish and learn with.

Welcome to the site chance, always good to see new people.

Now, I don't know if I should welcome you to the insanity or warn you of it, but you can never have enough paint colors!  LOL

I am a lousy painter, at least in my opinion.  I have gotten a lot better, but I am not an artist.  So, my opinion will probably differ from others.  I probably would not have responded to this one were it not for your post having gone 4 hours without a response.

I always suggest getting a sample pack of the basic Createx colors to start.  With them you can, in theory, mix almost any color.  Having said that, I find myself always getting new colors.   Also, a point was made to me that Createx is designed for porous stuff, like Tee Shirts, but it works for me.

Auto Air is a Createx paint, but made for automotive and model (non porous) use so it might work better for you.  I have had a couple of special colors and it worked well, but I could not tell the difference.  http://www.airbrush.com/AA-Semi-Opaque-Mini-Set-4oz/productinfo/163902/

I find Wicked paints to be awesome, but I can't buy them off the shelf in my area.  http://www.airbrush.com/Wicked-Colors/products/1527/

But, you are talking some difficult patterns, shad, because they are metallic.  We have had lots of discussion on the site about that, and lots of answers.  I'm still learning and looking, never totally satisfied.  But, I will point out two more options.

1) Taxidermy paints are a great idea.  This is one brand of taxidermy paints that will get you started.  https://www.mckenziesp.com/Wildlife-Colors-C2020.aspx

2) For airbrush painting, then the best, and not great, but best I can do is the following when I want a silver.  http://www.airbrush.com/AA-Aluminum-Base-Coat-Fine-4oz/productinfo/162645/  The picture sucks, but I get the best airbrush results from this.  When I clear coat it is stays almost as bright.  I use a Talon airbrush and I use my medium needle for it.

I have read that people have obtained great results from some of the pearls and metallics but when I have tried it they grey out when I add a clear coat.  But, I have not used every clear coat nor have I used every paint.   I just don't have the time or money.

So, for a shad pattern, I get the Aluminum for the silver.  I use the Createx for the white bottom, the black side spot and back, and I use a little blue/white mix for highlights and add a little white/yellow/green mix for the Chartreuse highlights.  

Depending on how detailed you want to get, you can get specialized paints from the groups I have given you to match almost any color.

Now, because you are new, I want to help you find our search feature.  Hover your mouse over ACTIVITY at the top right of this screen.  When the drop down menu shows up, go to search and click on it.  Enter your keywords and hang on, years of great information will be at your fingertips.  

Mostly, have fun.  We have great talent on this site, but we range from newbies to hobbyist to professionals.  View the ideas given in that filter and take small steps until you get comfortable with your talent.  

• Like 1

Take a look at the hardbait cookbook topic at the top of the page and it will give you an idea of some of the color choices used.  Sort of overwhelming if you want a reasonable color palette and are just starting out, right?  I recommend getting a basic set of the primary colors:  white black green blue yellow red brown.  You can mix intermediate colors from them and you can add a few  flaked, pearlized and neon colors to round out a basic “bass prey” palette.  Or you can peruse taxidermy colors to get ones specifically designed for prey species.  As well as the basic colors, I tend to use taxidermy paints a lot and most of them are flakes and pearls.  Other than the basic colors in opaque, I use mostly transparent colors so I can layer colors for more natural effect and color blending.  After a few years, I ended up with about 50 colors.  But starting out with a basic palette makes the most sense.

• Like 1

Thank you both for the great information. I realized that I posted a broad question. To get more specific and it was touched on briefly. I want to buy a color kit but not sure if Opaque, Pearl, or transparent is better since I mostly wanna paint shad patterns and start to learn bluegill pattern.

Start with a solid opaque white all over the bait to hide underlying shading of the plastic or wood grain.  Shad and bluegill have a reflective sheen.  You can use pearl white to get that effect or a fine silver flake in a transparent medium dusted over the entire color scheme.  There’s no wrong way to paint a bait and there are many ways to get a particular effect.  The truth is that no two guys paint a custom bait exactly the same way and the same goes for the specific colors they choose to do it.  You just have to jump in, develop your technique, and choose colors that look right to you.  If you goof it up, wash off the paint and try again until you get a scheme that is acceptable to you.  It’s a learn by doing process.  Check out some of the crankbait painting videos on YouTube to give you ideas on techniques and color schemes.

• Like 1