BASS-SA

Plastisol Recipe

4 hours ago, BASS-SA said:

I'm sure this was asked before, but does anyone has the recipe for plastisol? I'm new on this forum and don't know where look for the same topic.

It can be hard to find the search feature on TU.

Hover your mouse over ACTIVITY at the top right of this screen.  When the drop down menu comes up, go to search at the bottom.  Enter your keywords and hang on.  Lots and lots of info.

Welcome to the site.

2 hours ago, Baitjunkys said:

You cant make it cheaper then you can buy it

Perhaps, for sure I won't be trying to make my own.:blink:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest DiyEngineer

Check out my Recipes, so far i have written two lists of materials to use to make plastisol resin for your own lures, some say it is not cheap but you can make a gallon or two for around fifty bucks, which is a a fair price,  but alot of people buy in bulk to really save money (but intially that is expensive and time consuming which defeats the purpose for making plastisol). It is not the liquid that is expensive to make, it is the equipment that is expensive.

Edited by DiyEngineer

Guest DiyEngineer
17 hours ago, Baitjunkys said:

A gallon for 50.00?  You can buy in bulk for under 10.00....   Or from any reseller for 50.00 shipped, Well most...

Baitjunky's i said buying in bulk per Gallon is cheaper in my original comment, but unless you got the hundreds of dollars for bulk at a time, you can make for as little as 35 to 50 dollars for ONE-TWO(Specifically these two together) gallons of resin plasitsol fluid, not for that baits only the fluid. The reason for one-two gallon is material availability, stock, as well as pricing.

Edited by DiyEngineer

12 hours ago, DiyEngineer said:

Baitjunky's i said buying in bulk per Gallon is cheaper in my original comment, but unless you got the hundreds of dollars for bulk at a time, you can make for as little as 35 to 50 dollars for ONE-TWO(Specifically these two together) gallons of resin plasitsol fluid, not for that baits only the fluid. The reason for one-two gallon is material availability, stock, as well as pricing.

Personally, I think Baitjunky's right.

The challenge of making my own plastisol, no matter how rewarding it might be, isn't worth the time and trouble it would take.

Of course, if you can't get it where you live, then that might be another story. 

Edited by mark poulson

Guest DiyEngineer

Pleas read to the end (i mean no disrespect), True baitjunky's is right, also please Keep in mind that i devise systems to make products cheap and efficiently, so i do research and have connections to get materials for bigger companies, so I know it is usually is not for individuals, but when someone asks I provide them with an accurate and detailed answer, if you read my comments all the way through you find they are accurate and that I don't discourage people from asking if they want to know, but I always give facts and opinions supported by facts.  SO unless you own a company, baitjunky's is right that it is not worth it, but I was right on the prices(you decide on how rewarding it is to make them, i did not say it is worth the effort or not, only on how to make it and the price not if it is worth it, also don't like debating with people only provide them facts). But thank you for your opinions :), also i really did write two recipes.

On 3/23/2018 at 9:44 PM, mark poulson said:

Personally, I think Baitjunky's right.

The challenge of making my own plastisol, no matter how rewarding it might be, isn't worth the time and trouble it would take.

Of course, if you can't get it where you live, then that might be another story. 

Edited by DiyEngineer

1 hour ago, DiyEngineer said:

i really did write two recipes.

Thanks DIY, and I remember the two recipes.

If I lived where I could not get the premade materials, I would be very interested in your recipes.  Sometimes we take for granted where we live as individuals and forget that we each live in different areas.

Also, the satisfaction of doing something yourself is different for each of us.  

I have fly tying materials dating back 55 years, and have spent far more on my stuff then I care to remember.  To date, I can assure everyone that I could buy flies cheaper then I can tie them.  Still, I have very few purchased flies, very few recognized "patterns".  I tie flies to satisfy myself, and that has made the 55+ years of collection worth it.......to me.

There are going to be some that find making plastisol to be equally satisfying.  

Guest DiyEngineer

Thank you, but i didn't choose the name DIY necessarily for myself, but because i want to help others do things for themselves, because i enjoy helping others not debating. Thank archer : ) for the encouragement so far today i have been bombarded with discouragement. 

Edited by DiyEngineer

21 minutes ago, DiyEngineer said:

so far today i have been bombarded with discouragement. 

Please remember that we all have days like that.  Days when friends seem like enemies, days when sunny skies seem more depressing than the darkest storm.  On those days, less than friendly enemies seem to be everywhere looking to discourage us even more.

More often than not, it is our own perception, not reality.  Our friends are still our friends, the enemies are not as numerous or as strong as we think.  There will always be opposition in all things, and that is as it should be.

Brighter days will be ahead.  At least that is what I tell myself every day.  :ph34r::yes:

8 hours ago, DiyEngineer said:

Thank you, but i didn't choose the name DIY necessarily for myself, but because i want to help others do things for themselves, because i enjoy helping others not debating. Thank archer : ) for the encouragement so far today i have been bombarded with discouragement. 

After all the years of being on this forum I have never seen someone post a formula for plastic. You did it just to help and I respect that. The original question was how to make it not the cost.  You keep doing what you are doing and your help will come back to you in some form. This forum needs more people that are willing to share knowledge. To be honest it is probably the only post in years that I copy and pasted it to my notes. In fact I copy them both. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1