tebo

pouring soft plastic over wood body?

First off let me say how helpful this site has already been with regards to making molds, you have been great. I started making soft plastic glide baits for musky. I use a two peice casting mold to form the plastic. Something that I do different that I have not seen on this board is I use a wooden form on the inside of the plastic. The wood has lead in it in order to weight it properly. The wood sits in the mold and the plastic is poured around it. The problem that I have been having with every pour is that air pockets are forming around the wood. I have tried using cooler plastic but air bubbles still start as soon as the plastic hits the wood. I then have to go back and slit the body and pour plastic in the air pockets. Do any of you guys out there have any suggestions on how this can be avoided? Any suggestions would be appriciated. I'll be out of town musky fishing this weekend and hope to have a couple baits that need repoured after some toothy critters chew them up.

Come on soft plastic guys; what happens when you get moisture in the plastic and heat it? It bubbles, right.

Wood has a moisture content. You need to dry your wood as much as you can. Put it in the oven (kiln dried) this should bring your moisture content down. You do have to remember that no matter how much you dry it there will still be a small moisture content within the wood.

Post some pics here so we can see.

I'll post some pictures of the proto type htat I have been using if you can tell me how. I am not very computer literate. BAsically it sound like I need to seal the wood so the air in it can not escape when pressed into the hot plastic. I'll give that a try with epoxy if it is not affected by the heat.

Tim