thesheriff1

Etex Toxic???

As chemicals go, etex is the same as other epoxies.  The MSDS sheet says it may cause skin irritation and you should avoid breathing it’s mist.  You can develop a skin sensitivity to liquid epoxy over time.  Jmho, compared to many other clearcoat products, etex seems pretty tame and I certainly wouldn’t rate it “extremely toxic”. 

• Like 2

Guest DiyEngineer

I looked into the chemical components of the hardener which contains the harmful chemicals, unless there is a strong alkali substance, or weak acids(or acidic chemicals) that can break positive  ions apart down, already in the water (they MUST be in the water before you put the Etex in it), doesn't really do damage to the environment, unless you leave it in the water for a really long time, or it gets into the fishes stomach, all the damage it will really do is kill some microbial life, and small insects but nothing really not much else.

Edited by DiyEngineer

Epoxy can cause skin allergies very fast. Always use gloves and if you get it on your skin, go and wash it of as soon as possible. 
If you live in Usa you should get True Coat. It is a new epoxy clearcoat made especially for lures. It is environmental friendly, not toxic so you wont need a gas-mask (but it can probably cause skin allergies like epoxies tends to do), it dries in just a couple of hours and it is clearer than Envirotex, thick viscocity (1 layer is like 2 layers of etex) and you wont nee to be afraid of fish eyes cause you wont get them with True coat like other epoxies.

/David

Guest DiyEngineer

yes it it is reactive, until the hardener catalyzes, but vapors that are released form the hardener before it catalyzes with the resin , making it that exposure to reacting slightly with your body and when your body realizes something that shouldn't be there make you develope a defense mechanism against it, in this case an allergy toward it, but touch it after the catalyzation it shouldn't matter, only not before it is cured is it harmful.

1 minute ago, aulrich said:

And don't use it in California it seems a lot of things cause cancer in California :)

I have seen a number of packages marked "The State of California has determined that "insert something fun here" causes ... 

So California must be a little toxic

Being normal causes cancer in California.  Once told my family that I was cutting off the branches of the family tree that extended into that State.  I was joking then, but not so sure now.  LOL

• Haha 1

Guest DiyEngineer
4 minutes ago, aulrich said:

And don't use it in California it seems a lot of things cause cancer in California :)

I have seen a number of packages marked "The State of California has determined that "insert something fun here" causes ... 

So California must be a little toxic

: ) Once my mom was sweeping with a broom lifted it to remove something that was stuck to it, my sister said Don't touch it you'll get a disease from it, I said no You'll get cancer. #Known to the state of California to cause  cancer tag

On 3/22/2018 at 7:05 AM, thesheriff1 said:

well respected guy in the lure making community, and he mentioned how etex was extremely toxic.

I guess that I would want to define what extremely ment.  

So far we are are talking allergies, and my wife has allergies to almost everything so I don't want to discount that as a problem, but my wife has allergies to perfumes and aftershave and so far no one admits that perfumes and aftershaves are "toxic" and definitely not "extremely toxic".   PS, my wife needs to carry a rescue inhaler in case one of the smells gets her too bad........ happens several time a year.

The fact is that too much water is "toxic".  Many people have died drinking too much of it to "hydrate" before an athletic event.  It is not common, but it happens often enough, but most of us don't consider it toxic.  Of course, not having enough water sure would be considered "toxic" or at least the results are toxic.  We won't talk about how toxic it is if it gets into the lungs.  LOL Can we say drowning victim.  

Same issue with breathing 100 oxygen, or .......

We live in a society where we can make claims without substance and then they are accepted or expected to be accepted as fact.  To question or object to that fact makes us a "hater" or a "bigot" or a "place your favorite political weapon of choice here".  

I think that it would be appropriate to ask the 

On 3/22/2018 at 7:05 AM, thesheriff1 said:

well respected guy in the lure making community,

to substantiate his claim, to define what "extremely" means to him.  Not to be a  "hater" or a "bigot" or a "place your favorite political weapon of choice here", but to put the onus back where it belongs.

Perhaps when we understand what the "well respected guy" means, we can establish a common frame of reference to discuss the subject. 

From my point of view, varnishes, urethanes, moisture cures, etc., are all "more" toxic than Etex or the other epoxies.  After all, the aforementioned all produce far more fumes and vapors then the epoxy class, and have the potential for the same skin irritations, eye irritations, etc.  

Nevertheless, I am open to learn, to discuss, to advance the knowledge base regarding the toxic levels of anything, as long as I know what "toxic" and especially "extremely toxic" means to the discussion in the first place.

Guest DiyEngineer

Thank you for the feedback :  ).  anglinarcher, sorry about your wife, i just want clear any misconceptions that everything i say is on facts, but is not always right, please excuse me if caused some confusion, also i don't have favorite sources i look at all of them, i also experiment myself then tell what i know, i am not doing this to be famous, heck people on this website won't even ever know my name or who i am for the most part, and they shouldn't, but i do want to help people with their questions or problems, because i enjoy helping others and getting them to DIY. And if they are joking ill joke back, who does not like to laugh? Sorry for any misconceptions i may have created.

Edited by DiyEngineer

I can tell we have similar intents.  Very few on this site know my name, and like you, I do not help to become famous or well known.

As an engineer myself, I tend to be detailed oriented, sometimes too much.   As a scholar, I like to debate, but hate to argue (yes, there is a difference LOL).  As a pragmatist, I tend to realize that sometimes shooting for the stars is a worthy goal, but an unreachable one that should be moderated.

Guest DiyEngineer

thank you for understanding, but as mentioned in a previous commented ,i don't like heated debates on touchy subjects as they can easily turn to arguments, but thank you for understanding (i want to make sure you understand i am grateful, sorry for repeating).

well irregardless. I still use etex..lol..we still spray auto clears and lacquers. mind you we have blower systems,rubber gloves etc..was a welder for a living...still here a senior still building lures everyday. 40 years and counting. an old friend that passed last year painted till 90 years old,died at 92. his averages were over 150,000 spoons stamped and painted yearly..,he never even had a blower system and heated with kerosene .

• Like 2