John smith

Hand crafted frogs

I am going to venture some educated guesses on this one.  At the very least, my thoughts might spark some memories or thoughts from others.

1) The hooks seem fairly modern, like within the last 20 years.  They are not held on by split rings, so it means it is hard to change out hooks.  This suggest it is fairly new.

2) The popper has a belly ballast weight, but it was crudely finished.  This suggest either old or hobbyist.

3) The paint was hand done, with brush marks showing in the paint.  This suggest hobbyist or old.  

4) All of the old paint jobs I have seen, even the never used lures, seem to dull with age.  These lures seems very bright, very clean, almost too bright.  This suggest they are fairly new.

5) When I zoom in the BB7 looks like it was done with a brush, but the BB9 looks like it was done with a sharpie.  This again suggest a hobbyist.  If they were the same, I would think they could have been done later by someone else, but I think that it was just done at different times by perhaps the same person.

My guess, somewhat educated guess, is that it they are 10 to 30 year old hobbyist creations, never used.  The popper would surely catch fish today.  The other one may not swim at all, and with the line tie in that top head location, I am sure that is what was intended.

I suspect that the markings BB7 and BB9 are lost with the Hobbyist who made them.

I don't know if this helps or not, but maybe it will spark some conversation about the observations.

I would also guess that they are a hobbyist creations for all the reasons Anglingarcher stated. 

The BB9 looks like an attempt to recreate the Paw Paw Wotta Frog. The body shape is similar, but the hardware doesn't match up. The Wotta usually has metal diving lip and hooks on the leg ends. The Wotta also has different hardware to connect the legs.

As for the BB7/BB9 , the BB might be initials and the numbers might be the maker's 7th and 9th frog attempts/models. Maybe the decedent's initials were BB? If the decedent had a last name that began with a B, the maker could be a relative. If the sale was at a residence, you could find the former owner's name at the registry of deeds/town tax assessor.

One thing is for sure.  While I personally don't think there is value as Old or Antique lure(s), I believe there is substantial value as folk art

My wife likes to watch the TV show "American Pickers" a lot, and I see things selling there for prices that I would not even consider.  That may indicate I am cheap, or that I not the collector type.  In fact, there are a lot of less flattering things it might indicate as well.  But, my wife went through my tackle box and removed lures that my father and my grandfather used, and some of the ones from my childhood, and is keeping them for a shadow box collection.  To her, they are history and deserve to be collected - to me, it means I have lost some favorite lure choices when I am fishing.

I have to maintain peace at home, so her shadow box is more important than my lure choices.  I am glad that my wife did not see these, because I am sure she would have added them to the shadow box collection.  LOL