Cuttem Jack

Plastic oil removal

I make musky gliders with a plastic tail. I had a request for a special color tail and when I received them they were coated in oil. I tried washing off with rubbing alcohol and dawn dishwasher soap to no avail. I need to glue them on to the back of the bait and I use pro soft bait glue with accelerator. Would not stick so I tried two different types of crazy glue and still didn't work. Any suggestions to clean them so they'll stick?  Or if someone can pour me some 8 inch tails like these? Much appreciated!

IMG_1463.PNG

• Like 1

I saw your post on Facebook.  Sorry I didn't get back to you.  I don't know if this helps, but it seems some baits  appear to  keep excreting oil until they are dried up husks.  Some of the pthalate free plastics seem to be worse for this, but I've found that not thoroughly bringing the plastic up to temperature once during the initial heating cycle seems to be a related issue.  Since you are buying the tails this is not something you can control.  Buying from a bulk provider like BPS would seem like a good solution, but even the big boys have problems once in a while.  I would guess BPS plastics are all made in China by the lowest bidder.  Your short term solution might just be to ask somebody here to make your tails for you.  We don't really have any business to business (B2B) exchange area here on TU, but there is a classifieds section. 

I like the idea of incorporating a screw lock or other bait keeper. 

I had to buy certain tails through bass pro due to other colors not sticking, however bass pro doesn't sell red tails. I really didn't want to add a coil, but it looks like that's my only option. Unless I want to start pouring my own but that's a whole other issue. I have enough on my plate now. I tried heating the cut end, acetone to clean and nothing seems to be working. 

I'm not American, but I saw that for instance there is Sunnyside Corp. as brand name. If you soak the tip of your grub in a glass with MEK for few seconds, it should be cleaned. Not too much time, because MEK can dissolve it. As glue I would suggest a glue for PVC pipes as Tangit.

Bye.

Cami

On 3/25/2018 at 10:03 AM, CNC Molds N Stuff said:

I saw your post on Facebook.  Sorry I didn't get back to you.  I don't know if this helps, but it seems some baits  appear to  keep excreting oil until they are dried up husks.  Some of the pthalate free plastics seem to be worse for this, but I've found that not thoroughly bringing the plastic up to temperature once during the initial heating cycle seems to be a related issue.  Since you are buying the tails this is not something you can control.  Buying from a bulk provider like BPS would seem like a good solution, but even the big boys have problems once in a while.  I would guess BPS plastics are all made in China by the lowest bidder.  Your short term solution might just be to ask somebody here to make your tails for you.  We don't really have any business to business (B2B) exchange area here on TU, but there is a classifieds section. 

I like the idea of incorporating a screw lock or other bait keeper. 

All of the BPS branded plastics are made in Alabama by Americans ;)