ddl

most chromed alu tape

guys

unfortunately the only one i have seen at homehardware,homedepot were really not that chromed and there was some kind of subtle lines ,there was one that was super nice but it was printed tuck tape all over the tape.from your experience what brand is the most chromed?

tks!

Well, Venture used to make a Brite-Bak tape designed for stained glass artists that was very thin, but has apparently stopped producing it.  They make tapes in various thicknesses for different markets U.S.-Europe.  I don’t remember all the thicknesses I saw on EBay, I just chose the thinnest which seems to be similar to the Brite-Bak  and have been happy with it.  It is much thinner than the generic hvac tape you find at local home centers.  It has good adhesion and the edges can be burnished down to make them disappear, thin enough that I don’t need to epoxy over the edges to hide them before painting the bait, which is a big plus.  But just thick enough that you can roll a fish scale texture into it.  I apply the tape to a waterproof epoxy seal coat, texture it, and shoot my white acrylic color basecoat, then clean the foil with a Qtip dipped in denatured alcohol to remove the overspray and any tarnish that the foil has picked up.  Then I add color to the bait.  It comes out with a reflective scale sheen that I think is right for a baitfish.  Not as much as chrome or holographic foil, but with plenty of reflectivity.  Cleaning the foil with Qtips before adding color is sort of finnacky and I end up with a pile of 3-4 dirty Qtips for each bait, but I tend to be sloppy when shooting my color basecoat so it’s necessary for a good end result.  Hope this helps.u

Bob, that hula hoop tape looks pretty nice!

Edited by BobP
  • Thanks 1