bryanmc

Ukranian stone molds

Glad to hear that Flippinstick, I have been using the engine paint with mixed results. I have some molds that the paint stays on well, and a couple that paint comes off on  the bait. Can't figure  out why some will do fine and the other not. I have taken acetone and cleaned the  molds that have been leaving the  paint on the baits, and will try spraying them again, and see  if it happens again.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Flippinstick Mike said:

I have been very successful using KBS diamond hard. I brush it on just enough to completely cover the cavity and have had positive results with many shootings. I have done the same with 3D printed molds and it works well there too.

I will have to give the kbs a try. I have ways used west marine 2 part epoxy to smooth fdm 3d printed molds.

So happy I got my sla machine, no more post processing. Love it.

It's true the roughness of stone resin doesn't help to remove the bait from mold. With mold like this one http://baitmold.com/plastic-bait-mold/worms/mold-w122-24-inch-61-mm/ , where body is done by lamellae, whose thickness is around 0,5 mm, I have to use PAM spray and a needle to remove it.

I'm wondering how can you brush a paint coating without to clog these thin appendages? Is such kind of paint so thin to leave a micron coating? and is its viscosity so low, to well adhere to walls of mold?

I'm really interested to this application.

Thank you in advance for your kind explications.

Bye.

Cami

The consistency of the product is pretty thin and self leveling. I use a small brush for the extremely detailed areas I typically use the end of the bristles & tap straight down instead of brushing, then once I feel I have it coated, I brush from inside out on each side to make sure there are no areas over filled. A little goes a long way. 

I have 3 trailer molds & have never had to coat them with anything whatsoever.  May be that they aren’t as detailed as some lures are I don’t know. I guess if a person was worried about the baits being shiny he could, but I have never had a problem with mine & they are easily  removed too.  Mine came from bugmolds.net

Edited by Les Young

11 hours ago, rcbv said:

Removing supports is sometimes a problem.

Funny story about that - I was showing my wife the support matrix on one of the prints, while I was carefully snipping it away, she said "on cool can I see" and *RIPPPPPPPPPPPP* tore the whole matrix clean off. That was the last time I ever used snippers to remove the matrix.

It does leave tiny areas where it was connected, but haven't had any other issue and just rip it off. Not sure how I would handle it if the support piece was on the detailed side.